Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
When i rebuilt my mates 1200 engine we put seperate jumpers to the pump to fill the carbs and it started and ran ok, on his the pump did not run unless the engine was running, not just turning over.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
on his the pump did not run unless the engine was running, not just turning over.
Probably a low power issue, the pump should run anytime the ignition is firing. The relay has no way of knowing if the engine is running or just cranking.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have done everything correctly. I’m thinking the fuel pump relay is bad . Also this bike has gone though a total rebuild kind of ? Motor was out and back in over the winter . It’s now running again but I wired the fuel pump with a separate relay I hooked up from the ignition On of the fuse block for now until I source a replacement Honda fuel pump relay .
What doesn’t make sense is the fuel pump worked before I tore the bike apart? But it is a 36 year old bike .
I’m now moving on to my 1500 that I picked up last year till I can find a Honda fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
BTW, thanks for all the help ! This bike is just one of my projects. And I still can ride my 2018 , it’s comfortable in my garage wait for spring . Lol

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
The fuel pump relay is a simple troubleshoot. It has 3 wires. Check them in this order.

1) The black wire should be hot with the key in the on position.

2) The blue/Yellow wire should be grounded but only when cranking the engine or engine running.
One and 2 are the only inputs to the fuel pump relay.

3) If 1 and 2 are good and all is connected as it should be, check the White wire at the relay while cranking or running only. the white (output) wire should have power while cranking or running.

NOTE:The output from the fuel pump relay is white but it switches to Brown/Blue at a connector before it gets to the fuel pump.

It works like this. Power should flow in the black whenever the key is on. The Blue/yellow is grounded when the engine is turning and the relay turns on. Power should flow from the black through the relay to the white wire and on to the fuel pump. Pretty simple. :)

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Redwing52 beat me to it.

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
As slow as I type? That doesn't happen very often. Must have had a head start. :)
If you can type slower than me that's an accomplishment. :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts