Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 84 Interstate and am currently not having any problems and want to keep it that way. The 3 Yellow wires coming from stator seem to be white with a blue or black stripe, instead of yellow and they are conneccted to Yellow wires but not all hooked together as one, (see picture). Is this something I need to change or is that what was supposed to be done. It was like this from the PO, I have not done anything to it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

It has already been taken care of it looks like. There has been some other wire spliced into it to make them long enough. You will probably find another splice farther down.
They are not supposed to be all connected together as one.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply, I couldn't feel any other splices back to the stator housing so I wasn't really sure. I just got the bike in Sep 08 so after reading about all the stator issues I wanted to try and avoid them. Thanks again, ride safe.

Ritchie :bowing:

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

It could be an aftermarket or rewound stator and they used different wire.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

You should also check the white multi plug under the false tank adjacent to the voltage regulator. The three yellow wires we speak about make their way through this plug on their way from the stator to the volt reg, Pull it apart and check for evidence of arcing/ burning. This plug is also known to arc and or short out and eventually cause charging problems. On every Gl1200 I work on I run new wires of equal gauge from the stator directly to the voltage regulator effectively eliminating the chance of heating/arcing at either plug. ( The plug next to your battery has already been eliminated) Make positive solder joints and use good quality heat shrink. This fix may extend the life of your stator............Gm

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

KRPerry wrote:
Is your battery vent hose disconnected!
Nice call KR. I didn't see that. I had to go back and look. It appears that the battery doesn't have a vent though. Maybe one of the AGM batteries. We'll have to wait for papabee49 to enlighten us.;)

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks guys for all the responses. The battery hose is in fact dissconnected, however the batery is a Yusa Super Sealed High Performance with out a vent. The PO replaced the battery about 2k miles ago and I am guessing that is when he had the wiring done. The paperwork I got with the bike in Sep said the starter was replaced at at about the same time, have to check with him and see if he meant stator. Again thanks for all the replies, I knew it was something simple, but this is my first wing and I want tit to last for a while and I am an RN not a mechanic.Ride safe and often.

Ritchie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.