Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dear All

For my project to make the cornering lights switchable between cornering and driving lights, based on the description in

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/GoldwingTips.htm

Now I ran into the problem - luckily before I bought the switches - how to connect it correct. This, because as it seems, the left and right light needs to be connected separately. Means, I would need a switch with two internal switches.
Am I right or wrong? :?

Does anybody has a schema for this project, or a link to such a scheme. (A before and after would be incredible.)

The help of you guys is very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

If you get a 2 filment bulb holder and bulbs and fit it ,you can use one side of the filment for your cornering lights and the other side for your driving lights ,therfore only needing one switch for both the driving lights and wire the cornering lights as normal ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Oh .. Wexi ... sorry for not saying thanks to your reply.

I have just the small problem, that I'm not sure that I've understood what meant.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Basically setting your cornering lights up like your taillights on a vehicle. The dimmer filament would come on for the cornering, ie like your taillights, and the brighter filament would be for the driving lights, ie your brake light. Hook your cornering lights up to the dimmer filament to the factory wiring, and run the brighter filament to one switch that would operate both as driving lights.

I hopeI'm on the right path on this:shock:

Tail and brake lights work off same bulb, just with two different filaments in the bulb.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks nightwizard40

You know ... my fear is to make somewhere a short circuite, because both of them are supplied by another relais, for that they can be on independent.

And I have now the fear, that when I connect something of these two separated circuits together, that I mess up something somewhere.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Some one somewhere should be able to explain the proceedure to you Ludwig, so I am bumping this up in the hope that someone responds to explain what you need to do. :waving:

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi Pete

Thanks for your reply. I took me the time over the weekend, and have studied the electrical schemes in Haynes' repair manual and the Shop manual.

Now I see it.
The thing is: Because my Canada Edition has position lights in the turn lights, that are always on when ignition is on, the relays for the cornering lights are always under power. Now, when the relay is under power, the cornering light is OFF. So cutting the wire makes the light on.

I found also very nice small switches that switch two different lines in one.
http://www.marquardt-schalter.de/38.html?tx_productkatalog_pi1[mode]=overview&tx_productkatalog_pi1[modifier]=0&tx_productkatalog_pi1[value]=1855&tx_productkatalog_pi1[pointer]=0&cHash=c49042cbe9

I also found an old thread about that issue, addressing that it might be "dangerous" to have the cornering lights always on, because of a "wearing out" of relay 3.
Here it also has been mentioned, that the standard bulbs have 35W, but OEM lights only 18W.
This I have to check, because the shop manual is saying 25W ????
So in worst case I'll change the bulbs too. But in general I want to have the cornering lights, and switch them on when "necessary".

The study of the schemes also let me increase my project, and make the position lights switchable, too. (When the front cover is already away. And I can make it with the same switch.)

Thanks for your help. :)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I certainly think it makes more sense to have those lower cornering lights as "driving lights" since they serve little purpose as cornering lights. I didn't notice any incredible benifit from them when turning. :(

Far better usually to have them on all the time, even at low watts, so you will be seen by traffic ahead. Switchable to eitheris probably even better.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.