Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Yep, must cut back into the wires both directions till you get good copper. Problem is in that severe a meltdown, it probably indicates the terminals touched and I would suspect its damaged the stator. They usually dont flame up just from a bad terminal unless two or more touch together. You can check the stator windings for an open circuit (as if burned open) but cannot check a normal winding with ohmmeter. There are tests in mechanics manuals but they are inaccurate. Only accurate way to check is with oscilloscope, many auto garages have them.

If you reconnect them, it doesnt matter which one goes where, just so each one from stator goes to each one to harness. Also pull the plug on the voltage regulator and have a look, its under the gas tank lid, under the tray to the left.

This is a chronic problem on GL1100/1200. Check out my home page for more info.

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

A meter capable of reading inductance (Henrys) would also be another way to do it. An Oscilloscope would do it too, but mostof us don't have these on hand.
You can get a cheap digital voltmeter at Harbor Freight for less than $5.00 which will do nicely for both measurements.

Yes. That is the only way for the average rider or mechanic to test a stator, and an inductance meter can be had for $ 50 at MCM Electronics last I checked. Phase inductance is about 1.5 mH (milli - henry) but a partially shorted phase may not read enough off to tell on a cheap inductance meter.

There is no check with a $5.00 voltmeter that is of any use except to read a stator winding that is completely broken open or to read DC voltage. Reading a stator with an ohmmeter is useless unless its a laboratory instrument except to check for complete open - circuit. No measurement of stator AC voltage is accurate unless done with an Oscilloscope.

Stator phase (one winding) resistance is about 0.15 ohm, too low for any common ohm-meter to read. I use a precision LCR bridge but those are $300 USD.

A cheap digital voltmeter cannot read stator voltage, the frequency of the stator signal is too high (and varies), and DVMs are designed to read a symmetrical sine wave, the stator voltage is not a symmetrical sine wave. Readings are not accurate.

O-scope will read 35-45 V AC peak to peak on a good phase.

If you guys want, i can post an electronic circuit to allow you to read peak phase voltage without an oscilloscope.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

66udive wrote:
Ì have an oscilloscope ( unused for years ) so I will check it out with that.

Regards,

Terry.

Be sure not to ground the scope while the probe ground is on the stator phase or the probe cable will go up in smoke and may take the scope with it. Youll see a modified sine wave. Have to measure between pairs of yellow or itll read through the regulator.

MUST be checked under load, Ive seen windings all but burned in two that still gave readings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.