Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Please HELP! my cooling fan & fog lights are wired together & when turned on the temp. gauge goes ballistic (any ideas on wiring fog lights?).....I would also like to wire a cig. lighter ,best place to steal some power or is this too much (I can live w/o it)...I'd like to wire cooling fan direct to a switch for on demand (in case bike temp. gets too high)...is wiring direct to batt. w/ switch a bad idea for fog lights & lighter...I am NOOO mechanic as you can tell Tks Jeff Thank You to ALL for the great advice...problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

easiest way to to run the cig lighter straight off battery using a fused circuit (they pull approx 9 amps)

for the foglights you can run a switched circuit off the battery using a fused circuit and a relay

problem with fogs is that unless you are running less than 35watts per light,the stock system will not handle the draw,even then its marginal

and if you haven't hardwired the stator,rectifier and solenoid connectors your system is even more prone to failure

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I have seen too many cobbled up messes when someone connects thing directly to the battery. It adds more joints to the circuit from the battery to the started and ignition. It creates more places for corrosion to start and make those connections even worse.

Just leave the battery alone. Connect your new additions to the fuse block. There are extra terminals on most of them. Always fuse the new circuit, either by using an existing fuse or an inline fuse if you use the accessory terminals.

Lyle Peterson, EAA, PGR, AOPA, AAE, MBS, AMA, MSCE
EAA Chapter 237

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

fuse blocks especially on the gl1200 are not designed for additional amped circuits,trying to add that way ends up overloading the original wiring

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I agree, do it right and fuse it, but I think direct off the battery is often best.

Adding 1 properly connected heavy wire should not cobble up anything or add anymore joints to circuit. Just 1 new heavy ring end on a wire on same + bolt on battery.
Then if wiring more than one item extra use one of those little extra fuse boxes you can buy cheap and wire all the stuff to those fuses.

Put in relays for most heavy power items like fog/driving lights and fan. Wire relay to get power from the new line/fusebox and then the switch only needs to handle the low power to turn on relay. I've seen people try to wire heavy power like that through just a cheap switch, use a relay!

Also if you only want the circuit live when the key is on, you could put a heavy relay in the power line to extra fuse box, then trigger the relay from the bike fuse box, that way the extra box only has power when the key is on. All the power for items come from the battery still, not the bike fuse box.

Doing a new line from battery to new extra fuse box that way should not have any effect on anything on the bike (other than battery and charging). This also does not draw any extra power through any MAIN fuse that could blow and kill the bike.
Be sure to fuse any new line right at the battery. Even if it's going to a new fuse box, fuse box on other end of wire does no good if a short happens between battery and fuse box, so fuse at battery also!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

I agree with Chromo you can also purchase another little fuse block that has 3 or 4 fuse's with there own hook ups and with the cooling fan I would rewire it back to original unless there is a problem with the fan switch that way you would never have to worry about not noticing when to turn it on or forget to turn it off and have a dead battery when you come back to it Mother Honda knew when to turn it on and turn it off

also here is a link for 35 watt bulbs

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83135241-12V-Halogen-Bulb/dp/tags-on-product/B000H0KNSM

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

gws4me wrote:
Please HELP! my cooling fan & fog lights are wired together & when turned on the temp. gauge goes ballistic (any ideas on wiring fog lights?).....I would also like to wire a cig. lighter ,best place to steal some power or is this too much (I can live w/o it)...I'd like to wire cooling fan direct to a switch for on demand (in case bike temp. gets too high)...is wiring direct to batt. w/ switch a bad idea for fog lights & lighter...I am NOOO mechanic as you can tell Tks Jeff 1987 Aspencade GL1200
OK back to original problem (one thing at a time:)). The cooling fan operation is independant of the temp indication. This soundslike a possible faulty ground issue.Fan switch normally closes about 210F connecting the ground for the radiator fan motor which has ahot wire supplied constant causing it to run. Are fog lights after market? Who wired them. Are they intentionally tied to a manual switch.

I fail to see the need for the manual fan switch "in case bike gets too high". That's what the fan switch is for. Just fix what's engineered into the bike and avoid a lot of excess wiring "shortcuts" that eventually give more grief than the original fault. You can alway bypass the switch if it fails on the road.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thank You to All for taking the time to give me really great advice concerning my wiring problems....did what you said ....worked like a charm... AOK in FLA Jeff & Linda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.