Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was riding home from work on Sat and the front caliper decided to freeze up on me:shock:

I bleed them off and limped home. Bought a rebuild kit and got that finished last night:stumped:

Now time to reinstall those things and hope I did everything right:baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

having just spent time on my front brakes... another place to look is the bushing pin on the brake caliper. the bolt on mine went through easily. however the pin bushing was cooroded and wouldn't allow the calpier to slide properly causing the brake to fit too tight against the rotor.

I had to drive the pin bushing out to be able to fix it

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
I was riding home from work on Sat and the front caliper decided to freeze up on me:shock:

I bleed them off and limped home. Bought a rebuild kit and got that finished last night:stumped:

Now time to reinstall those things and hope I did everything right:baffled:
DigbyODell, sure hope you are rebuilding the correct part.. If the front caliper froze up & it then released by bleeding fluid off I would more suspect the master cylinder up on the handlebar. Sounds like something trapped fluid pressure & there isn't anything in the caliper that will do that. If releasing fluid freed it up you might have a plugged take-up port in the master cylinder.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I think you where right twisty:gunhead: I put them on and got it all bled out and it still hangs up....Not as bad but still hangs up:baffled:

How are are those to rebuild or is it easier/cheaper to buy another one:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
I think you where right twisty:gunhead: I put them on and got it all bled out and it still hangs up....Not as bad but still hangs up:baffled:

How are are those to rebuild or is it easier/cheaper to buy another one:baffled:
DigbyODell , those master cylinders really rebuild pretty easily.. Before doing too much else, remove the fluid from that mastercylinder & clean it out, thenmake sure the take-up port hole is open & not plugged (somewhat common if there is goo or crud in the master cylinder.

Shown here is a clutch master cylinder but it is about the same thing..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Kewl thanx alot Twisty!! I will give it a go tomorrow:waving:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well not to dig up old news but I had to tell somebody:gunhead:

I was talking to my neighbor about my brake woos and the first thing he said was "you have a collapsed brake line":shock: We went into my garage and he started looking it over and we fiddled around for about 20 min and narrowed it down to the lower left brake line:clapper:

Luckily I haven't had the money to get the master cylinder rebuild kit so that saves me some money:clapper:

If anyone cares I will post my results when I get the new brake line on:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I seen this happen on my old Fiat 127 car. A flap of rubber inside the brake hose was stopping the fluid retracting the piston and the calliper stuck on all the time. Took 3 trips to the garage before they found it.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
I seen this happen on my old Fiat 127 car. A flap of rubber inside the brake hose was stopping the fluid retracting the piston and the calliper stuck on all the time. Took 3 trips to the garage before they found it.
I have hear that FIAT stands for "fix it again tony"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.