Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, been riding for 35 years now, never found a screw/nail in my tire before so I count myself lucky. This morning I discovered I had a phillp head screw in the center of my REAR tire. I have another season of tread left and I am thinking about getting some glue and a plug to replace this screw that I now have in the center of my tread in my REAR tire. I am going to be putting the wing to sleep for the winter soon. Any thoughts on what I should be thinking about doing. I am thinking if it was my front tire I might be thinking about replacing the tire? What do you Wizards think?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
You are going to get two lots of people screaming at you jj. The group that only think of safety who will advocate changing the tyre immediately and then the group that will say, plug it and ride happy.
I am not going to scream at you either way, but me... I would plug it and ride, like I have done in the past.
Your call I am afraid.
:waving:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Silverfox, I will be removing the american made phillips screw and plugging it, trying to find the sun in my cloudy morning and I see that the screw is in the center recess or indentation of the tread and not the high part of the tire area. Off topic a bit....I do not like the phillip screw head, A canadian invented the robertson screw head, but the USA do not like to use the superior robertson head in their manufacturing, they perfer the phillips head. So I am blaming the americans for my screw in my tire. Had to blame someone other than my wife this time. Eh.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I've had good success in the past plugging tires on lighter bikes with the ropey type plugs and glue. The repair lasted until I wore the tire out. However, both times that I tried plugs on the Goldwing, it worked at first but within a couple of weeks, it started to leak around the plug. I assume the flexing of the tire caused the plug to loosen up.

Here is a link to to an excellent website that shows how to patch the tire from inside. I haven't tried this method but it should work better than any plug you can use from the outside.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tpatch

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I would remove it and patch it from the inside. That is a proper way for car tires. It might be more work , but it won't come out.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I would try to find what they call a "boot" to patch from the inside as others have stated. The boot is just a thicker/bigger patch.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,610 Posts
Center of the tread is a safe place for a plug.

Run plugged tires many miles until the tread is gone.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Off topic a bit....I do not like the phillip screw head, A Canadian invented the robertson screw head, but the USA do not like to use the superior robertson head in their manufacturing, they perfer the phillips head. So I am blaming the americans for my screw in my tire. Had to blame someone other than my wife this time. Eh.

Hey jj, don't start a war over the phillips head.

They strip out real nice, don't they !

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to thank you all, again. It is reassuring to know you are all out there. JJ

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Yea ,I'd just unscrew it . oh wait thats kinda like unringing a bell huh ? cant be done . I've run a few plugs I prefer the internal patch or better yet the patch plug . If just using an external plug , do keep an eye on it and the pressure .

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I agree with silverfox, I think everyone should put safety first........

So make sure you get a good plug kits and follow the directions to the "T"........

Then ride it till it's bald!!

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
Unscrew it almost all the way and put super glue or sylicone on it and screw it back in if it leaks and it get to the point it leaks alot replace it with a biger screw then a small bolt and a bigger bolt and so on untill the tire tred is to the point it need a new tire! :):cooldevil: (I had a freind do this on a SX750 and yes I called him nuts but he drove it that way for over a year.)
I agree plug it if you must would recomend plug patch from inside or at least an inside patch but if you plug it watch the PSI a feew weeks and if it holds then it will probably hold for life but I have seen plugs come back out if not installed properly. Being in auto service I have patched a few motorcyle tires from inside and repair last the life of tire.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I like the "patch - plug" myself. Yeah, you need to break a bead at the very least to gain access to inside tirebut while it may in time leak, it will not blow out in whole.

I use the gooey rope plugs often in cars and truck tires that are stiffer and thicker and not so critical when going flat .... and would a MC if necessary .... but a "patch - plug" once home. Also use "patch - plug" on car tire if near sidewall.

:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Thanks Silverfox, I will be removing the american made phillips screw and plugging it, trying to find the sun in my cloudy morning and I see that the screw is in the center recess or indentation of the tread and not the high part of the tire area. Off topic a bit....I do not like the phillip screw head, A canadian invented the robertson screw head, but the USA do not like to use the superior robertson head in their manufacturing, they perfer the phillips head. So I am blaming the americans for my screw in my tire. Had to blame someone other than my wife this time. Eh.
Robertson invented his screw head pattern in 1907 and the Phillips screw came along in 1936. Both were designed for power driving on an assembly line. Robertson lost his chance for his design to be widely used in the US when he refused to make a deal with Henry Ford to use on his assembly line. Ain't Google wonderful?
As for the tire, I'd plug it and ride on it. Odds are good it will hold and if a plug leaks it's not going to blow out but just deflate.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Screwed Over

I also picked up a Phillips head drywall screw in my brand new front tire two days after installing it. Aaaaarrrrrghhh! I was leaving the next day on a trip so pulled the wheel and had a shop install a combination patch plug from the inside.
Well that was about 5 years ago now, and it's been fine.
With a newer tire I would recommend this option.
But if you are replacing the old tire next season anyway I would just choose to replace the tire.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I plugged my rear tire 14000 miles ago with the STOP & GO Plugging system and never lost a pound of air. Never worried about it after I read about the success many people had with that type of plug That my 4 cents worth

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I am so impressed with the quality of people and the knowledge on this forum.
I thought for sure after reading the title of the thread that you would have at least one comment about, "You are Screwed"

But I guess that's the crew I hang with at this factory.. Grin

Good Luck

Mohawk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.