Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a wobble which is intermitent, as if the back wheel is trying to come around the left.

I have only had the 1990 GL 1500 a few months I have traveled about 3000k with not an incline of trouble, the last three weeks (I only ride on the w/end and I'm 64) has put me off riding the GL and I have gone back to riding my 2006 Kawasaki VN2000VT.

When I lived in Wales I used to encounter black ice, I now have the same feeling but live in Western Australia and we do not have that problem with ice on the road.

I have tried changing the tyre pressures ranging from 34psi to 40psi in increments of 2psi, with no change.

Can anyone give me any indications of the problem, swinging arm is very good we do not have a rust problem in Australia.

This is perfect dry conditions on a freeway, moderate wind, tyres 30% worn

Best Regards

Tom
document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/stumped.gif');

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

Hi Tom, and welcome to the forum :waving:

This is the best place to be, and I'm sure someone will be along soon to help - if not, try putting a question in the Technical Forum

I envy you your weather :):waving:

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

[align=left]HelloTomand welcome from Arizona.

[/align]
[align=left] "Why buy'm if you don't ride'm"[/align]

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'm guessing failing rear wheel bearings or something wrong with the swing arm or bearings there.

I can't believe it is not making noise when it happens.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Might it be a belt problem with the tire itself :baffled:
ps. you might want to post this on the "Technical" thread.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum "The Worlds Greatest Gold Wing Forum" From.... Texas.....I'm going to move this thread to the technical forum, even though its a new member welcome..

Claude....

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this forum.Looks like you have several bikes.

...Back tire trying to come around the left...

That just sounds so weird.

On a wobble, I can not tell where they come from, but I and many here would associate that term more with the fronthandle bars wobble.

Does your handle bars have a definite shake, or is it the shake through the rear end only?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I would start by considering the torque direction of the drive shaft.I think it turns counter clockwise,therefore the torrque would be to the left which would lead me in the direction of wheel bearings allowing misalignment to the left. Just my OCD kickin in! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

I had a simular problem when i put on a radial tyre on the rear of my 1500! Scary! I changed back to what God i mean Honda intended and all was good again. may be some kind of fault on the rear tyre. Hope this is of some help? Derek

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Here's another vote for a tire gone bad. Chek it real careful like.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Another vote for a separation in the rear tire belts/cords. Had this happen on a V-Twin once. It would wobble/shake a a certain speed. The way I found out what was wrong was that I had someone drive the bike as I followed. It was very obvious the rear tire had a busted belt/cord as you could see it as the tire rotated.

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
imported post

Hey! :waving: from Hamburg, NY
[align=center]THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO BE![/align]

If you have Goldwing Technical Smarts - GIVE IT! :2finger:

If you need help - ASK FOR IT! :blushing:
If you know of an event coming up or a cool ride you went on - SHARE IT! :banana:

If you have a joke or funny story - TELL IT! :cheeky1:[/align]
If you have prayers to give or need some - FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, SAY IT! :angel:

If you have anything bad to say to or about anyone on this forum - STUFF IT! :whip:

[align=center] WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!
:cooler:[/align]

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hellow to all of you, and thanks for the wonderful welcome, what a nice suprise today when I opened up my computer and discovered somany people had answered to my call.

Redbaron thank you for transfereing the data to the technical section.

Here's wishing I could ride with you all

Best Regards

Tom

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I had this on a car. Fine for ages, then catch a ridge just right (or wrong!) and the back would take a lurch sideways. A month later some cords,(wires) popped out the side to say hello. There was plenty of tread left and no other sign of tyre damge. Two new rear tyres and the problem was gone. You could have something similar.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

start by running it on the centerstand and see(carefully) then check the swingarm bolts and the swingarm bearings...check the shocks....any cracks on the frame? or swingarm.....this is rare though....then check your front end and neck condition...prob should not ride it till you get answers(tire blow-out??)...oh maybe your r-tire is way out of balance...or front

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

It does sound like the tire problem.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks for the interest and comments.

After your comments I have carried out further investigations and have found out that the previous owner had the tyres in the shed for three years before he placed them on the bike over two yearsago, as I work in the country on the mines I shall not be in Perth for 2 weeks I shall then replace the tyres, during this time I shall check out all the steering and the rear suspention before replacing the wheels.

Any sugestions for tyres remember we have temperatures of 40Deg Centergrade with a road temp of approx 65 to 70 deg tipical Australian summer weather, but it gets cold in the winter about 14 Deg.

Thats all for now best regards

Tom
Keep the shiny side up

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I use E-3's with no problems hot or cold.:waving:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I love the Michelin Pilots on my 1500. I have run them now in temps ranging from 20 to 105 Fahrenheit and they inspire much confidence 100% of the time. :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.