1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

i own a 05 wing and it wobbles at 40.
dealer said all of them do it.
put a fork brace on and that did no good at all.
tire pressure is 38lbs.
do all goldwings do this?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

My 05doesn't wobble and neither do most of the ones belonging to owners that I know. Those that do wobble are usually down to a bad tyre, tyre going out of balance after a few miles etc. BTW, welcome to the forum Ed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Ed!:waving::waving:

It's possible you have a defective tire. The wobble at 35-40 is a curse of all Wings, usually only happens when riding with no hands on the bars, usually will stop with just a finger on one grip. Not all Goldwings do it though. It is strange that the problem has lasted from the 1000 all the way to the 1800 especially with the frame change on the post 2000 models. Fork braces don't seem to the the answer, a few get results but most don't seem to. Check your front and rear tires for cupping, that can happen early on with agressive riding, make sure the rear has the proper air pressure too. I experimented a few days ago by reducing the air pressure in my rear tire and the wobble appeared again, brought the pressure back up to normal and it went away so at least in the 1500 the rear tire pressure can affect the wobble.

The only suggestion I think might help your problem would be to try a different brand tire on the front and see what happens.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

ed wrote:
i own a 05 wing and it wobbles at 40.
dealer said all of them do it.
put a fork brace on and that did no good at all.
tire pressure is 38lbs.
do all goldwings do this?

ed , any dealer that states that all Gold wings wobble is a dealer that I would try to avoid.A responsible repair person should never, ever minimize the effects of a wobble on a motorcycle because it could potentially kill you.Any motorcycle that wobbles is a potential safety hazard and needs to be repaired. As Exavid has stated it could be a tire, but, it could also be loose steering head bearings, bad wheel bearings, bent disk brake rotors,loose triple clamps or defective forks, bad swingarm bearings or even a cracked frame.

Find a reputable and knowledgeable repair person who can go over your Wing and determine what is wrong with it and do not accept, "They all do it for an answer," because that is the wrong answer. Also, tell any dealer who say's they all wobble that you are going to report them to American Honda so that Honda can set them straight on the wobble issue.

Vic

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Ed, welcome to the board. There have been lot sof complaints about this on all the 1800 forums. From reading them all, itsalmost alwaysa bad tyre that ends up being the problem. Just go back to your dealer and demand that he fixes it. He says that all Goldwings wobble, well how come yours didn't wobble when you bought it?

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hello ed :waving: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper: Im not an expert on goldwings,:baffled:but my neighbour rides an :18red:and had a slight wobble at 40mph, he had the tyre balanced and the wobble has vanished.:weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I bought my gl1800 used and it had a wobble from the start. Not bad enough to be a worry though. I only realized it wasn't normal after I'd had new tyres fitted and then the wobble was gone.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ed wrote:
so far this group has been great!
ed n jetta:waving:
Isn't that what the guy who was falling off the Empire State building as he passed the 50th floor... 'so far so good!'

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

no wobble, but after 8000 miles i can tell bike is not quite as smooth as it was. It is not like a car where you align the front, rotate and balance the tires. When I do replace my tires after about 10K, I plan to have them mounted by a dealer with the most modern balancing equipment. WHAT IS THE BEST way to balance the tires? Thanks.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Dynamic, high speed balancing on a balancer that has been recently calibrated is the best method to achieve a good high speed balance. Some dealers will tell you that static balancing ( letting the heavy spot on the tire fall then compensating with weights until there is no more heavy spot)is just as good but it's not. I think those dealers say that because the balancing machines are very expensive and the static balancers are fairly cheap.

If you never drive your Wing over 30 MPH just go for the static balance but if you intend on driving at high speeds get the dynamic balance job.

Vic

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.