Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Darn, it looks like I'm going to have to re-torque the head bearings on my bike, the wobblies are widening their speed range of late. Apparently the road trip loosened them up a bit. Like to replace the rear tire too, it's pretty well cupped, but there's too much tread left just yet, front's looking okay. It's all going have to wait a bit though, the weather is just too nice right now to get excited about working in the shop.
 

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

Make the most of that good weather Paul, nice to see you back safe from that road trip. :waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Darn, it looks like I'm going to have to re-torque the head bearings on my bike, the wobblies are widening their speed range of late. Apparently the road trip loosened them up a bit. Like to replace the rear tire too, it's pretty well cupped, but there's too much tread left just yet, front's looking okay. It's all going have to wait a bit though, the weather is just too nice right now to get excited about working in the shop.


Paul, I have fought that same problem on my 86 Wing from the day I picked it up. I’m not sure there is a total cure short of adding a steering dampener. Tightening those head bearings will help short term but those are bearings & not friction devices so using the steering head bearings as friction dampeners isn’t the real answer.



So far what I have had effect the problem is:



*Adding fork spring spacers _very slight improvement at higher speeds, not much effect at <30mph..



*Raising the front fork air pressure _ a little more help, especially after adding the spring spacers.



*Tightening the front fork brace_ I found a loose bolt & tightening that did help the low speed wobbles.



*Increasing the front tire air pressure to 36psi_ All my other bikes run higher front tire pressure so I did a little research & found that Dunlop has a recommended tire pressure chart that lists the tire pressure’s by M/C make & model. Tire construction & test data have changed over the years so Dunlop has listed a higher front tire pressure for the early Wings. That pressure increase has helped me the most as far as wobbles go & now I don’t have a wobble problem unless I am doing a sever (no-hands-on-bars) decel while going down hill. I’m not sure if the increased pressure has taken some of the compliancy twist out of the front tire rubber or just bulged the tire out slightly therefore reducing the front tire’s flat foot print.



*I’m not sure of it’s effect on wobble as I did this in conjunction with other changes but I also found a plugged anti-dive valve on one fork side so that was cleaned (I’m sure that didn’t help the wobble but not sure it added either)..



Twisty
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
imported post

Paul, are the wobbles only occuring in hands off situations?

I used to have scary hands on decelaration wobble problems on my wing before I replaced the steering head bearings and torqued them properly. I have not felt any sign of a wobble since then even though my front Bridgestone Exadra is severely cupped. (I'm waiting for the new Elite III to arrive.)

Could it be possible that you have excess lateral runout on one of your front brake rotors which may be initiatingthe wobble you are experiencing?

A couple of other things to check would be tightness of the triple clamp pinch bolts and the condition of the fork slider bushings.

Vic
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
437 Posts
imported post

My slow speed wobbles are even worse now that I have the Venom's fitted - even at 30mph around a roundabout it's wobbling :X

I can't wait to get home and take my CBR out - real power, handling and agility!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
89 Posts
imported post

Venoms ?? I just had them put on my 82 1100 std. I very happy with them so far , I am hearing alot don't care for them , so I'm still figuring out why :baffled:? But I'll keep the bourd posted on their purformance .



Later All

:baffled:Zryder :1000red:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Twisty's suggestions match up with my thinking at the moment. I was planning on adding a few pounds of air to the front suspension, been running 0psi with the Progressives and will check the clamps for loose bolts. Wouldn't hurt to run the tire up a few pounds too. With the mileage on the bike I really should to a complete fork tear down, rebush, reseal, flush and fill. But it will have to wait until we get a few days of rain, it's too nice right now for that. I'll order parts so I have everything on hand and wait till the weather gets bad or the bike gets worse. I agree the head bearings aren't friction devices but the steering head is pretty free compared with the Honda manual's recommendation. So far the wobble doesn't go much higher than 40 with hands off and damps immediately when you put on hand on a bar so it's not a big problem.

I just did the brakes Vic and everything there looks fine. No big deal, I was planning reworking the front end and wheel bearings anyway, with 93,000 on the bike even though it looks real good I want to check over and replace all the suspension stuff as needed.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Nitrowing wrote:
My slow speed wobbles are even worse now that I have the Venom's fitted - even at 30mph around a roundabout it's wobbling
Hey Nitrowing :crying:I told you to fit Bridgestones. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Nitrowing wrote:
My slow speed wobbles are even worse now that I have the Venom's fitted - even at 30mph around a roundabout it's wobbling
Hey Nitrowing :crying:I told you to fit Bridgestones. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:
The Bridgestones work well for me. My favorite tire for older bikes is the S11.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
437 Posts
imported post

The cheapest quote I had for the Bridgestones was £420 fitted - the Venoms were £250 fitted... :?
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Nitrowing wrote:
The cheapest quote I had for the Bridgestones was £420 fitted - the Venoms were £250 fitted... :?
Hey Nitrowing :stumped: But you now have lost £250. :whip:If you hadspent the other £170 you would have had a good set of tyres and no problems. :clapper:

:walker::18red::walker:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Nitrowing wrote:
The cheapest quote I had for the Bridgestones was £420 fitted - the Venoms were £250 fitted... :?
Hey Nitrowing :stumped: But you now have lost £250. :whip:If you hadspent the other £170 you would have had a good set of tyres and no problems. :clapper:
Yeah, and if I had a pot o'gold I'd have an 1800!
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Yeah, and if I had a pot o'gold I'd have an 1800!
Ok im proposing that we take up a collection :clapper:world wide to buy exavid a new :18red:poor fellow he is down and almost out. :crying:We have just over1600 members on this forum so that would be around $12 each. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
exavid wrote:
Yeah, and if I had a pot o'gold I'd have an 1800!
Ok im proposing that we take up a collection :clapper:world wide to buy exavid a new :18red:poor fellow he is down and almost out. :crying:We have just over1600 members on this forum so that would be around $12 each. :jumper:
Great, I'll be watching my mailbox for the checks. Not down and out, just frugal!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
imported post

:shock: now I'm
worried. I have wobbles, especially at <40mph, and my bike is a 2005
Wing with only 1500 miles on it. I noticed the wobble started at about
600 miles. Before that, it was smooth as silk. Now I even
notice it when I decelerate. Is there any cure for this? I
have Dunlops
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Gr8life wrote:
I have wobbles, especially at <40mph, and my bike is a 2005
Wing with only 1500 miles on it. I noticed the wobble started at about
600 miles. Before that, it was smooth as silk. Now I even
notice it when I decelerate. Is there any cure for this? I
have Dunlops
Hey Gr8life :waving:You arevery welcome :clapper:to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper: Wobbles in an '05 :18grey:would not sound normal to me. :whip:Just make sure that you have the correct air presure in the tyres. :stumped:

Front = 36 Rear = 41. :jumper:Im not a fan of Dunlop Tyres, my neighbour has Bridgestones fitted on his :18red:and never had a wobble or shake. I like that new Silver nice wing. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top