Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
I do not think that any goldwing can exceed ~130 mph

and even it was capable of doing so, it would not be with me on it.

IF, the windshield were removed, then the 1800s could probably go faster, but I value my life way too much to do that stuff anymore.

Premium Member
The suspension on a Goldwing is mush. It's purpose built for touring in comfort and style and not for doing 130 on a consistent basis. It ain't no Ninja! Thank goodness. Those are painful to ride... 馃槈
The geometry is setup to aide in slow maneuvering in parking lots for such a large heavy bike and have reasonable stability at speed. It was not made for flat out performance.
You are obviously a more aggressive rider and the leap (or slide) from a Ninja to a Goldwing is a little too much of a change.
I recommend that you thank your friends for the opportunity to buy the bike, but pass...

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Not if he is running an Avon tire on the front.....!:)

I ran enough sets of them to know.....!!!!!
now Dave,
you are scaring me now.....
I have an Avon Roadrider on the front of my bike o_O

Administrator
I do not think that any goldwing can exceed ~130 mph

and even it was capable of doing so, it would not be with me on it.

IF, the windshield were removed, then the 1800s could probably go faster, but I value my life way too much to do that stuff anymore.
Pretty sure an 1800 will do 130, especially the pre 2009s with the 5% speedometer error, probably more. I did have my 2010 to 120 in 4th just to see what it would do. That was on a long straight stretch of smooth road with no traffic & about 100 feet of clear area on either side.

Premium Member
I have been riding for about 12 years and rode almost every make and model and for the last 2 years, I have been riding 2018 ninja h2r.

I am looking to buy a Goldwing from my friend and it wobbles a lot just at 130 mph. is this normal?
Your prompt response to this query is needed.
As you can see, we have a few questions.

In a previous post you posted that you had recently moved from a 2006 to a 2018. What year bike ae you looking at? How many miles on this bike? What brand tires and what condition are they in? What speed rating do they have?

I see a flag in your avatar that I am not familiar with? Where do you live? Is it possible you mean 130 kph, not 130 mph? Does your friend know how fast you ride and has he ever experienced a wobble on this bike?

Premium Member
now Dave,
you are scaring me now.....
I have an Avon Roadrider on the front of my bike o_O
Easy John. Front tire controls speedometer on a GL1500 but your GL1800 comes from the rear tire and is obviously wrong because of the alternative safer tire.

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Easy John. Front tire controls speedometer on a GL1500 but your GL1800 comes from the rear tire and is obviously wrong because of the alternative safer tire.
ah, but it has an E4 on it now, and that does NOT matter one whit,
as I always look at my Garmin 2797 GPS to tell me my speed.

the speedo is off by 6 or more at 70 mph.

My Gl1800 can for sure go 130mph , ( meassured by my Garmin GPS ) , but that is allmost the limit .
I "test" it quite often , and it is rock stable at that speed , even two upp and packed for a week end trip !
It was on the "autobahn" in Germany and we was late for a ferry boat because of some road construction .
"Wife unit" thought it was a bit windy , but that was the only complaint .

Registered
I did a little math - My 1500 reads 3300 rpm at 75 mph in OD. A little calculation shows the revs would be 5720 at 130 mph. Just slightly over red line and you'd be tickling the rev limiter, but a GL1500 should be able to do it.

Kinda doubtful MY bike could go that fast, it's pushing a huge "sheet of plywood" in front - Slipstreamer windshield, same as a Tulsa Tall. Wind resistance would kill the top-end speed.

The German autobahn is certainly the place to test it - I had a week long business trip to Amsterdam in 1988. On conclusion of business I took a week of vacation and rented a VW Golf with a 4 speed manual and drove to Germany to visit family there and tour the countryside. On the autobahn, flat out the little Golf could only go 160 kph (100 mph). At that speed there were still plenty of motorcycles and sports cars passing me like I was stopped.

Premium Member
The suspension on a Goldwing is mush. It's purpose built for touring in comfort and style and not for doing 130 on a consistent basis. It ain't no Ninja! Thank goodness. Those are painful to ride... 馃槈
The geometry is setup to aide in slow maneuvering in parking lots for such a large heavy bike and have reasonable stability at speed. It was not made for flat out performance.
You are obviously a more aggressive rider and the leap (or slide) from a Ninja to a Goldwing is a little too much of a change.
I recommend that you thank your friends for the opportunity to buy the bike, but pass...
The fastest I have ever run my 1986 GL1200 was 115 mph , but that was towing a trailer, across Arizona...I always wondered how fast those little trailer tires were spinning .....

Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
The fastest I have ever run my 1986 GL1200 was 115 mph , but that was towing a trailer, across Arizona...I always wondered how fast those little trailer tires were spinning .....
not near fast enough to be worried about, calculate the RPMs and it no where near enough to worry about it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts