Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My side stand is quite wobbly and is also allowing the Wing to lean a little bit too much, for my liking. Is this caused by wear and if so what can I do to cure it please ?

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

The best thing to do is replace it with a chrome big foot kick stand. My original one was too, and I replaced it, and glad that I did.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the information, however I am not keen on the chrome side stand, so will a new standard one cure the problem please ?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Is the nut on the inside of the sidestand missing or loose?

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I was having a problem on my 1100 like this , the bike started leaning over way too far , turns out the previous owner had damaged the subframe and had welded it , not doing a good job of it either.
I had to replace the subframe.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

As mentioned several times by someone, if the nut is loose or missing, that could cause it to be wobbly. A new one would probably fix the problem if it is a case of wear, however, the stock ones have a very narrow footprint, and sink in the ground too easily, so even though you don't care for the chrome ones, they fit tighter, and with the larger foot, are more stable than the stock ones, and besides, the only time you notice it, is when it is in the down position anyway.:) You could always paint it black.:D

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The nut on the inside is not missing or loose.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

my 1500 stand was doing the same thing. I got some very thin brass washers, and installed one on the back side of the stand and one in front. This made the stand much stiffer and helped with the "lean" for sure. I did put on a "foot" that bolts around the bottom of the stock stand. This helped the "lean" the best. Now it doesn't feel like the bike is going to fall over.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I recommend the boot as well to raise the sitting height angle and to prevent sink-in but you really need to take the heel tang completely off and smooth. You really don't need it. You can easily engage the block covering the stand foot with the tang off.

I originally cut mine down to a nub realizing how dangerous it was. Even that wasn't enough.
If anyone want's to see what even a nub can do, send me your email address and I'll send you a picture of what mine did to me. It's too gross to put up here.

It's your leg and calf.

Here is what the boot should look like when revised.

Make sure you round and polish the leading corner and any edges that can fillet your leg for you.

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Here is where I nubbed it in the first place and still got seriously injured with it so you can imagine what the full arm could do...

Cut it off flush with the mating line.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've reworked a couple side stands, on on my old 1200SEI and one on an 1100 Aspy. In both cases the bikes leaned excessively. With the bike on the centerstand extend the side stand and try moving it up and down. It shouldn't move vertically more than 1/2-3/4". If it has excessive play, take the side stand off andlook at the slot the frame tang goes into. I'll bet you'll find the sides of the slot are not parallel but widen out toward the open end. Use a vise or carfully smack the fork closed until it fits fairly snugly over the tang. If the bolt is stretched and the shoulder extends beyond flush so that when the nut is put on the bolt isn't snug you can put a thin washer over the shoulder on the shank of the bolt to take up the slack. Don't put a shim inside the sidestand fork unless you make one of hard steel and make sure it covers the whole face of the fork. Otherwise you'll just build in more slack.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Sometimes I just come on here to see if I can offer any help from what I have encountered , but then I see guys do this and it puts a big smile on my face and I tend to go to work happier.

:D:cheeky1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.