Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wing has started having a womp womp noise in the rear wheel area when I am moving. It is more pronounced at low speed but I have noticed it at some speeds around 20-30. I have spun the wheel and inspected the tire. all looks good. Didn't really notice any flat spots. Questioned whether it could be a brg.

Not affected by clutch or brake. Swayed it back and forth and it didn't really make a difference.

Any Ideas,

Thanks,

Hotrodpreacher

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I had a similar noise the first ride of the year. I only went about 100 feet before I realized I had forgotten to check the air pressure in my tires. I had a negligible amount of air; pressure didn't register on my gauge. Please forgive me for the question, how's your air pressure?

Terry

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I haven't checked it. It felt hard with a bar but I didn't have an air guage with me When I picked it up. I've only driven it about 40 miles. man it is sweet. Drives better than my 93.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

If you had a flat spot or something due to sitting and lower pressure that should go away in the first five mile, low pressure will not cause a whop, whop, neither will out of balance.

If you are pretty sure the sound is coming from the tire, and you are running smooth roads and not going over pavement joints, then you have a defective tire, the tread is separated from the inner cord at some point, maybe not to where you can see it but it is there.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I was thinking worn out splines.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Elite 3 Tires make a noise like that,If you have them on your bike its normal.

Other than that it could be the bearings in the rear or U joint.

Only way to tell if its a bearing is to pull rear end.

As others have said get a good tire pressure gauge and make sure front and rear are correct,Then ride it and see if it goes away.

If not you will have to start checking other things.

I went from elite II to elite III and immediatly noticed a wah wah noise from the back tire and there is alot of posts with people experienceing the same noise.

But you may have bearings getting worn.

Your wheel bearings will cause it too.In any case your prob into pulling the back wheel off to diagnose the prob if its not tires

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Worth checking the gap between the swinging arm and the tyre, could be rubbing.

Nick
Welsh Winger

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

bikgra wrote:
Elite 3 Tires make a noise like that,If you have them on your bike its normal.

Other than that it could be the bearings in the rear or U joint.

Only way to tell if its a bearing is to pull rear end.

As others have said get a good tire pressure gauge and make sure front and rear are correct,Then ride it and see if it goes away.

If not you will have to start checking other things.

I went from elite II to elite III and immediatly noticed a wah wah noise from the back tire and there is alot of posts with people experienceing the same noise.

But you may have bearings getting worn.

Your wheel bearings will cause it too.In any case your prob into pulling the back wheel off to diagnose the prob if its not tires
Huh. I just put an E3 on the back of my 82I and haven't noticed any pac-man noises. WAKAWAKAWAKAWAKAWAKA. I have Jardine pipes that are kinda noisy though maybe I just haven''t noticed.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

CAN YOU PUT IT ON NITE STAND SO BACK WHEEL OFF GROUND,START AND PUT IN GEAR SEE IF SOMETHING HELPS..PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I,m with the GWRRA here and out of the 6 - 1500,s that have elite III,

4 make the noise(thought it is very slight noise) and 2 dont make the noise.

Could be the peticular batch of tires but who knows.

Next set will be Avons or Bridgestone not Dunlops

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.