Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m have a 2004 Honda goldwing new alternator and rectifier and still won’t charge I’m at my ends wits don’t know where to go from here place I need help someone help

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
293 Posts
I will defer to someone that really knows, but I am pretty sure that the alternator needs a signal from the ECM before it will start the charging process.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
I will defer to someone that really knows, but I am pretty sure that the alternator needs a signal from the ECM before it will start the charging process.
Exactly. Disconnect the green plug on the back of the alternator. With a volt meter check the black/yellow wire, it should show battery voltage, then the black wire, start the engine and after 8 to 10 seconds it should show approx 5 volts.
Don't know what you mean by "replaced the rectifier", it is built into the alternator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly. Disconnect the green plug on the back of the alternator. With a volt meter check the black/yellow wire, it should show battery voltage, then the black wire, start the engine and after 8 to 10 seconds it should show approx 5 volts.
Don't know what you mean by "replaced the rectifier", it is built into the alternator.
Yes it does the black and yellow shows 12.3 volts then with the plug unplug the black wire show .5 with the motor running

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I think he said 5 volts was needed, not .5 volts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was 5 volts could someone tell me it the regulator/rectifier relay box have anything to do with this changing problem

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
It was 5 volts could someone tell me it the regulator/rectifier relay box have anything to do with this changing problem
First, lets clear something up...
the 1800s use an Alternator, period.

there is not, and never will be, a Regulator/Rectifier found on an 1800.... those only exist on 4 cylinder bikes.

Alternators have the 'Regulator' built-in inside the case of the Alternator.
the Field needs that one wire to feed voltage to it, so that the Alternator can generate power.
the ECM keeps that wire at Zero volts until after the engine has been running for ~5 seconds.

that is why there is a delay after the engine is started, before the voltmeter ( if on the bike, or a DVM attached to battery ) will start climbing from ~12 volts up to 14.3 volts.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
What are you talking about? It doesn't have anything to do with the charging system whatever it is but would like to know what you are referring to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve been told that this is the rectifier that tells the alternator to change or not over charge the battery

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
that don't look like anything I have seen on my 1800...
the plug does not look like OEM Honda

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
No, that is the reverse regulator.
Next question. Can you tell if the alternator is actually turning?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Does the E.C.M. control when alternator kicks in on ALL 1800s? I was led to believe this might have been added to latter years 1800s to make it easier on the alternator drive gear on start up.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
Does the E.C.M. control when alternator kicks in on ALL 1800s? I was led to believe this might have been added to latter years 1800s to make it easier on the alternator drive gear on start up.
gumbyred
mine is a 2002 and it has the delay, they all do

·
Premium Member
293 Posts

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Did I swerve into the answer? Failed alternator drive gear?
gumbyred
Maybe, that's why I asked the question can he tell if the alternator is turning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok now if I test the voltage coming out of the battery with the bike running then the voltage keeps going down but if I test the voltage coming out of the reverse regulator then it is going up where it is suppose to so where do I go from here
Maybe, that's why I asked the question can he tell if the alternator is turning.
yes alternator is turning like I said the volts is get back to the reverse regulator but it’s not going from there to the battery

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Ok now if I test the voltage coming out of the battery with the bike running then the voltage keeps going down but if I test the voltage coming out of the reverse regulator then it is going up where it is suppose to so where do I go from here

yes alternator is turning like I said the volts is get back to the reverse regulator but it’s not going from there to the battery
I'll try also. :) The REVERSE REGULATOR has nothing to do with charging the battery. It is a reverse regulator because it regulates the speed of the bike when you use reverse. Nothing to do with the charging system. That is a picture of a part of the reverse system for backing the bike up in reverse.

Why do you think it is not charging? How did you diagnose and come to the conclusion it is not charging rather than an issue like a bad battery etc?. Are you aware that for about 12 seconds after you start the bike, the alternator does not charge? This feature gives the engine a short time to stabilize after start up without the heavy load of the alternator. That means you should not test the alternator for a couple of minutes after you start the engine.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,155 Posts
If he is not using a Battery Tender in between all this "engine starting" to test things, the battery is too low to be meaningful.

as just said, it takes about 15 minutes for the battery voltage to return to near normal at 14.3 at roughly 2500-3000 RPM

even at idle, it will charge up to 14.3 if you watch it for a while.

If it doesn't, then the battery most likely has some bad cells in it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts