Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i ran out of gas and did the walk of shame to a gas station after i fueled it runs very poor after about 20 miles of filling with the fuel i pulled a sample and ther is alot of water in it i got home drained it out and put fresh fuel in it and some seafoam in the tank i ran another tank of fuel through it and it still doesnt idle well about 1500 is what it should be and it lopes down to 1000 and back up you goose the throttle and the engine makes a lugging noise i just had the carbs rebuilt and sync'd a month ago

i installed a new fuel filter after i found out how much water was in the fuel it runs perfect on highway and at speeds above 10mph or so but you notice a large amout of fuel smell at idle i pulled the plugs and none of the cylinders show signs of flooding....

any ideas i dont want to take this back to the shop again uless i have too

any help is appreciated

thanks

alex

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,778 Posts
imported post

i would put in some of the gasoline antifreeze products. Dissolves the water and carries it on through.

Sad thought though, IF the fuel had water in it, it may also have had some fine grains of rust in it that clogged the idle jet passages. :(

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thats what im afraid of

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

i read the how to syncro the carbs and it said normal idle is around 1000 rpms mine has always been 1400 to 1500 rpms ive just had it syncro'd 3 months ago and it has never dropped below 1400 i dont konw if it helps much

·
Administrator
26,986 Posts
imported post

Drain the float bowls, little brass screw at the bottom of each carb. Just loosen them about 1 turn.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i will losen the bleed screws tomorrow when the bike cools down does sediment built up in those bowls??? or something? im sure its similar to my lawn mower have to take the carbs off every other year or so and take them apart and clean them out

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I would certainly doubt you'd need to disassemble/clean the carbs on an annual or bi-annual basis.

But by running out of gas, you send a lot of sh*t to the fuel filter. The one time I clogged a filter, was when I ran it lower than low.

Turn off the petcock, drain the floatbowls, turn on the petcock, re-drain the floatbowls, dump in a can of seafoam, swing a dead cat counterclockwise in the driveway at Noon, and you should hopefully be good to go!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sucess it wasnt a fuel issue i got to drinking a few beers and started fiddling with it i rembered that it sat at work during nasty thuderstorms 80 mph winds i had no spark to number two and number 4 cylinders at times at high rpms there was spark i pulled off the coil assembly turned it over and water came out i blew it out with air cleaned the connections trimmed up the corroded spark plug wires put alittle anti corrosive compound on all connections reinstalled and it runs like a top now i didnt think that water could get into the coils with that false tank and ferrings and stuff protecting them but im sure anything can happen oh by the way i dont think im going to honda anytime soon for another fuel filter jesus cost me 30 dollars for that in line fuel filter good lord i think im gonna start ordering fuel and oil filters and fuel filters online at a much much cheaper rate

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sucess i drove it all over town and not a miss and here i kept thinking its probably going to need carb work done again..... whew..... make a mental note if heavy rain is blowing 80 mph pull your bike in the shop even if the manager says NO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.