Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilt carbs new acelerator pump, air cut off valves , float needlea, bowl gaskets etc. First try ran #4cyl was flooding. Reset floats with new float needles. Now way better but wont idle without choke?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Rebuilt carbs new acelerator pump, air cut off valves , float needlea, bowl gaskets etc. First try ran #4cyl was flooding. Reset floats with new float needles. Now way better but wont idle without choke?
Dumb question, did you turn the idle speed screw up a bit to get it to idle? Or is it just unstable at idle? Are you sure you got the low speed circuits nice and clean? Easy to miss. Turn out the mixture screws?

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I set floats, by using the .610 measurement to the top of the float with rhe tang just touching the needle pin.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the low speed circuits? Not sure what that is. Nothing in book on setting

·
Administrator
26,533 Posts
And the low speed circuits? Not sure what that is.
There's your problem. Every passage and jet in the carbs must be clean or you will have to do it again.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,149 Posts
Harbor Freight has an Ultrasonic Cleaner that is big enough for small carbs, like bikes.
not the big Quadrajets for cars/trucks.

Have used them a lot over the past decades to clean anything that gets dirty.
eyeglasses, jewelry, carbs, and more...

I have dunked whole radios down into an ultrasonic cleaner, and got the grease and oil out of radios that were in Diesel trucks...

have to dry them off very carefully, lay out in the sun over a black plastic sheet, or on the grill of the house oven set at 125*F.... I pull the grill out about half way, and the radios set out of the oven, just exposed to the warm air .

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's your problem. Every passage and jet in the carbs must be clean or you will have to do it again.
I cleaned everything inside and out. Onlyvthing i didnt was rhe pilot screws. Wondering about the vacume advance as it has a diaphragm and is old. Might not be working?

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are passages that are really small for the idle mixture.
I would take it apart again. Blow air through every hole and passage in the carb with the mixture screw out. It may need to be soaked overnight in carb cleaner. Remove ALL rubber parts first.

I had the same problem with my 78 750A. All 4 idle jets were plugged. Once they were cleared out, it ran like new.
David

·
Administrator
26,533 Posts
I cleaned everything inside and out. Onlyvthing i didnt was rhe pilot screws. Wondering about the vacume advance as it has a diaphragm and is old. Might not be working?
No, it is not the vacuum advance. If you didn't remove the pilot screws and clean the passages, well there ya go.

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok sounds good. But stupid question? Where are the idle jets ? Is this the pilot screw adjustment? Only thing i didnt touch cause book made it sound like it was factory set , but now i see it needs to be reset ,and cleaned i assume., it says if carbs are overhauled .

·
Registered
201 Posts
There should be a small tube that dips into the float bowl. This is the pick up for the idle mixture. This is what plugs. Use a really small piece of wire. Then blow it out.

If you buy a can of carb cleaner and use the hose. If you put the hose on the pick up tube, carb cleaner will come out where you removed the mixture screw and maybe out where the carb attaches to the manifold. PROTECT YOUR EYES. This stuff is nasty. Don't let get it on any sensitive parts of your body.

The fuel comes out of the bowl, mixes with air then is regulated by the mixture screw. Then its sucked into the engine through a small passage that comes out on the engine side of the throttle plates. You should be able to squirt carb cleaner in that passage and it will come out where the mixture screw was and out the dip tube that goes into the bowl.

I took auto mechanics so long ago, we had an entire course on carburetors. At the time there was no fuel injection.

David

·
Administrator
26,533 Posts
Ok sounds good. But stupid question? Where are the idle jets ? Is this the pilot screw adjustment? Only thing i didnt touch cause book made it sound like it was factory set , but now i see it needs to be reset ,and cleaned i assume., it says if carbs are overhauled .
This should help.

Reactions: msgoodwrench

·
Registered
201 Posts
Page 4 item 4 shows where the pick up is for the idle jet. Air should pass through there.

Nice job Dave0430

David

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
That's a good 'how to'. However, I didn't see any details on how to set the float height. I think that's where many mess up good carb job.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
And the low speed circuits? Not sure what that is. Nothing in book on setting
Don't feel bad. You are not the first to miss it. It is very important to these carbs as they only have 2 cicuits instead of 3 like a car.
If you look at the picture below and your carbs you should see several tiny holes right at the base of the throttle plate.
When the engine idles probably only 1 of those small ports is exposed to the engine vacuum but the more the throttle tips in the more ports come in to play.

All of those small ports are notorious for varnishing when a bike sits. So much so that many times you are required to get a small wire and clean the port by pushing the wire through the port.
You will know when all are clean. If you hold the throttle open so you can see in there, then spray a carb cleaner in the low speed jet the cleaner must come out all the ports by the throttle plate. You should also see an emulsion tube that turns in to the low speed jet hole. Make sure all the air bleed holes in the emulsion tube are clean as well.

Also check the air bleed port. This is a port near the mounting bolt flange that goes down to the expulsion tube. Air is drawn in through that air bleed then travels down to the emulsion tube where the air and fuel mix to make an air/fuel emulsion. If you put your thumb over the now open low speed circuit ports and spray carb cleaner in the low speed jet you should see the carb spray come out of the air bleed as it can not get out the covered low speed circuits

Screenshot (114)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't feel bad. You are not the first to miss it. It is very important to these carbs as they only have 2 cicuits instead of 3 like a car. If you look at the picture below and your carbs you should see several tiny holes right at thhe base of the throttle plate. When the engine idles probably only 1 of those small ports is exposed to the engine vacuum but the more the throttle tips in the more ports come in to play. All of those small ports are notorious for varnishing when a bike sits. So much so that many times you are required to get a small wire and clean the port by pushing the wire through the port. You will know when all are clean. If you hold the throttle open so you can see in there, then spray a carb cleaner in the low speed jet the cleaner must come out all the ports by the throttle plate. You should also see an emulsion tube that turns in to the low speed jet hole. Make sure all the air bleed holes in the emulsion tube are clean as well. Also check the air bleed port. This is a port near the mounting bolt flange that goes down to the expulsion tube. Air is drawn in through that air bleed then travels down to the emulsion tube where the air and fuel mix to make an air/fuel emulsion. If you put your thumb over the now open low speed circuit ports and soray carb cleaner in the low speed jet you should see the carb spray come out of the air bleed as it can not get out the covered low speed circuits

View attachment 323559
Cool thanks will look at all that. Never saw any little ports . and upon tring to remove all the pilot screws one was stuck and it broke off , threaded part needle and spring still in hole, sucker wouldnt budge. Luckily im a machinist so im gonna drill out piece and re tap. New pilot screws coming. I do it quite a bit so keep fingers crossed haha. Think i can get it

·
Administrator
26,533 Posts
Cool thanks will look at all that. Never saw any little ports . and upon tring to remove all the pilot screws one was stuck and it broke off , threaded part needle and spring still in hole, sucker wouldnt budge. Luckily im a machinist so im gonna drill out piece and re tap. New pilot screws coming. I do it quite a bit so keep fingers crossed haha. Think i can get it
You can usually saw down into the end of the screw with a hacksaw blade and make a slot to remove the screw. The slot you make in the carb body won't hurt anything.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
1980 honda gl 1100
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool will try it. I get it , to break it,loose. Well at,least i know im not the first person to go f..ck! WHEN it, snaped

1 - 20 of 24 Posts