Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bought my First Goldwing

I'm so excited, I've admired them for years!!!

i'll be bringing it home in a week or so

it's been sitting for 2 years

someone else drained the fuel and out new fuel in it and almost got it completle running

it won't idle .

any tips on what to do??

take off the carbs??

clean the bowls??

any tips on this issue or what else to look for would be great

We still have snow here in New England , Come on Spring

Signed Sad in Boston

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Pull the carbs rebuild the and the after reinstalled the need to be synced so the all open at the same time dont forget to do an air screw adjustment on them a new fuel filter would help to

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

If the fuel was drained it might just be the tops that need to be cleaned.

Take the tops of the carbs off and clean the pistons, needles and air chambers with carb cleaner and some 600-grit sandpaper or emory cloth - don't overdo it! After cleaning they should slide very easily. Don't lubricate these parts... they should be dry as a bone.

If this doesn't fix your problem then you could try synchronizing the carbs, if that doesn't work, then a carb overhaul might be in order.

A full tune-up should be done as well, as ignition problems can also affect idle performance.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

It might just be that the carbs are gummed up. Try a carb cleaner additive in the fuel first and keep the throttle open for a while until the cleaner gets to the carbs. Then let ity lie for a day or two to loosen up any gum and run the engine again. It's worth trying again before pulling the carbs.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Mark :waving: All the way from Massachusetts. :grinner:Welcome to the gang, i hope you enjoy the banter. :clapper: I see you are using the same Avitor as Budegan. :stumped: Hope we dont get you both mixed up. :baffled:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks for all your replys

i was away drag racing a alchol funny car

i will work on this bike soon

Mark

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for all you help

i had the carbs off a couple time and now it's done!!!

Works good and i love it !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hi everybody-- I'm a newbie Winger as of last Saturday, when I picked up an 81 Interstate with 17, 700 original miles. The seller stated that a carb cleaning was in order, but that he had it out on the highway at 70 mph, and it was as smoothe as could be.I felt the bike looked pristine for its age, andwith the low mileage, I bought it. There was no question in my mind that it had been garage-kept, judging by the condition of the full dress body and chrome. It will start right up, but it won't idle on its own(like Mark's). After reading as many posts that time would allow regarding dirty carbs, I figured I was taking on my first carb rebuild in 30 years--( I used to rebuild my many cars' carburetors) but was feeling a bit intimidatedby the absolute wisdom of those on this forum that prove themselves daily in giving their help to anybody that needs it. I immediately ordered the Honda manuals(the service and common procedures- - along with the Haynes) and they just arrived yesterday.After reading a lot of positive things about 2 products mentioned here,I picked up some Seafoam and some Yamaha Carb cleaner on the way home from work, hoping to avert the carburetor removal, since I'm confused about the carb kits and what needs to be purchased to ensure victory in the end. I had gone to a Honda dealer and was charged $36 for a new air cleaner--when I later discovered I could get one for $9.95 on the internet--ugh! Anyway, today I pulled the plugs and they looked black and smelled of gasoline, pulled off the fuel filter and blew thru it, it was clear and drained the tank. Before pulling the carbs, I intend on draining the bowls, and filling them with Seafoam directly thru the pump line, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

P.s. Mark, did you pull the carbs and clean them, or did you buy a carb kit to replace the o-rings and gaskets, and if so, which one(s)?, or just pull the vacuum covers as was suggested ? I'm committed to having this bike running top notch--I don't care how long it takes! Thanks to all for reading all this, I really appreciate knowing there are others out there that are able to help a newbie like myself. Thanks again--------Rich from Illinois

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Rich, at unders 18000 miles its unlikely that your carbs will have worn out parts. A good clean is more likely. Someone else here mentioned putting seafoam into the fuel line so its worth a try and might save you having to pull the carbs. :)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

richwins54 wrote:
Hi everybody-- I'm a newbie Winger as of last Saturday, when I picked up an 81 Interstate with 17, 700 original miles.
Hey richwins54 :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper: Have many safe miles on your new :11red:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Thanks Yellowing--I'll give it a shot over the weekend and let people know how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Thanks Redwing--I'm happy I found this forum!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

richwins54 wrote:
Thanks Redwing--I'm happy I found this forum!
Hey richwins54 :waving:Yeah this is the best forum on the internet.:clapper:No matter what problem you have with your wing, :stumped:bring it here and these guys will sort it out. :whip: Dont ever be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you might think they are,:skipping: The motto here is "The only silly questions are the ones that are not asked" :jumper: Ride Safe. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.