Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bought a 2000SE US spec and when in 1st gear with the clutch in it wont start, when i press the starter the panel lights dim down but nothing else.

Is this normal as I have not owned a Goldwing before.

Thanks

Malcolm

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

If your side-stand is up, then you should be able to start with the cluch lever pulled tight.

Often this can be caused by a faulty or dirty clutch switch or even by aftermarket fatter grips (they'll keep the lever from pulling tight against the clutch switch).

The 1500s have a safety feature for the side stand - if the side stand is down the bike will not start or run when in gear.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Clean out/replace the clutch micro-switch. Perhaps you are using an aftermarket lever? if so you may find you need to add a drop of glue to build up the lever to work the switch correctly.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
If your side-stand is up, then you should be able to start with the cluch lever pulled tight.

Often this can be caused by a faulty or dirty clutch switch or even by aftermarket fatter grips (they'll keep the lever from pulling tight against the clutch switch).

The 1500s have a safety feature for the side stand - if the side stand is down the bike will not start or run when in gear.
+1

If you have never owned a 1500 before this will take a little getting used to, but she wont start with kickstand down if its in gear.....

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes my fireblade is the same, cuts out when you put the sidestand down when in gear so I was expecting that but it was just with the stand up and in gear but I think the micro swith looks promosing outcome.

Thsanks

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I know sometimes that mine will act up because of the micro switch on the clutch lever..spray it out with a little electronics cleaner...once i did that it worked everytime...you have to make sure to have the clutch pulled far enough to engage the switch on it too or it wont start...

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

There is a bushing in the clutch lever that wears. When it gets too worn it will not trip the microswitch. When it won't start try slapping the clutch in aggressively then try again. Usually that will help if the issue is the bushing. Take out the clutch lever pivot bolt and remove the lever. You will see the bushing. If it is worn eggshaped that might be the issue. It's the only cheap part on a Wing. :cheesygrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.