Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Tried to start the bike Fri. night and while on the center stand it wouldn't turn over is there some type of switch to stop it. Put it on side stand and started no problem. Am I missing some thing.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Sounds like one of the brushes in the starter possibly stuck, then when you moved the bike to the sidestandthe sticking brushmay have been jostled loose.

Don't know what year and model you have so I can't help much more than that.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

chief43 wrote:
Tried to start the bike Fri. night and while on the center stand it wouldn't turn over is there some type of switch to stop it. Put it on side stand and started no problem. Am I missing some thing.
What happens if you put it back on the center stand and try to start it. Is it a one time thing?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey chief43 :waving: What type of wing are you riding. :stumped: You have an :18blue:eek:n your avitor is that what you use. These guys need to know which wing you have to be able to give a correct answer. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It's and oldie but goldie, 1984 1200 interstate, and yes when it went back on center stand it wont turn over. And the avitor is not like my bike I wish, can't find 1200 one I like.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Chief, you have an OEM repair manual, so have a look at the instructions on how to remove the starter and check the brushes and other components inside the starter for problems. Be certain to hold the nut under the starter cable before you loosen the one on top of the cable. I had similar problems with the starter on my 84 Aspencade and it turned out that the starter simply needed maintenance.

Best to do it now before the riding season begins.

Vic

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'll give it a try, its in my buddies nice warm garage, so it wont be much of a problem.

Thinking of trying to change timing belts as well, only half mile to bike shopif all doesn't go well. Might be long push.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Just remember Chief, when you do the timing belts one cam pulley(left) will be stationary and the other(right) will tend to rotate back a fewcogs, make sure it gets postioned correctly before installing the new belt.. Make sure you read the book carefully first and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

chief43 wrote:
It's and oldie but goldie, 1984 1200 interstate, and yes when it went back on center stand it wont turn over. And the avitor is not like my bike I wish, can't find 1200 one I like.
How about using a jumper cable and jumping from the positive battery terminal directly to the starter? If it didn't crank then you know for sure it's the starter and not any of the intermediate wiring, switches or relay. If it doesn't crank then you can work backwards from there.

Since you have a heated garage to work in, the belts are not a overly big chore to change. On my '86 I was able to reuse the rubber seals on the covers. I cheated and used a little crazy glue to stick them back on the covers, once I took the right cover off the rubber has elongated a bit and didn't want to stay put so I glued it on. Worked fine.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Chief,

You should not have any trouble changing the timing belts, I just changed mine it was not that difficult...Best of Luck.:)

Dean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.