Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an '84 GL1200A which won't start unless I jump it from my car. It has a new battery, and everytime I push the ignition switch, the voltage on my battery goes down to about 7.5V. I am pretty sure I have a short somewhere in my electrical system, but I don't know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a short straight to ground in the starter solenoid or the wiring between the starter button and the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Haven't had it for very long. Could you give me an idea of where to locate the solenoid? BTW, former USN myself.

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
imported post

You need a (VOM) volt OHM meter if you don't already have one. First connect it to the battery, you should have at least 12.5 volts, turn the ignition on, the voltage should not drop below 12,if it does your battery may be bad. Push the start button, the voltage should not drop below 10. If the volts drop below 10 either your new battery is bad or your starter is dragging or shorted.If all good then connect the meter to a bolt on the engine and to the negative battery post and push the start button. If you see more than 1 volt you have a bad ground connection or cable.Connect the meter to the positive battery cable and the terminal on the starter and push the button, again if you see more than 1 volt there is a bad connection on the battery or solenoid or bad cables. Connect the meter across both terminals on the solenoid and check it for voltage drop. Also between pos. battery terminal and the hot side of the solenoid and from the starter side of the solenoid to the terminal on the starter. These checks should isolate any bad cables or connections and narrow it down to either the starter or battery.
BTW the solenoid is to the rear of the battery.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK. I will do that. I have suspected the starter from the beginning, but just wasn't sure what to do to check it. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

It definitely sounds like a bad connection wire. Most likely culprit is going to be the postive cable between the battery & solenoid.

I had the same situation & couldn't figure it out. Looked at the wire & it looked OK but there was a voltage drop across the cable when it came under load. ie:tried to start it. I replaced the cable & its worked fine ever since. You couldn't tell by looking at the wire that there was something wrong with it.

If solenoid clicks & bike will start when jumped I would check the easy stuff first, wiring, ground etc. before I worried about the starter.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Hello, I have an 85 and there is a raft of rewiring that needs to be done on the charging and starting circuits. Search the posts for three yellow wires, stator wires, and eliminating the dog bone fuse. I had to do all of these before mine had any battery life to speak of. PM if you need a place to start. John

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave0430, you need to do somemore testing with a VOM. My bets are on your battery being the problem. Either not much charge or a bad cell. If you don't already own a battery tester now would be the time. Your local Farm & Fleet has them for a few bucks, the kind with 4 balls, that show the state of charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.