Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I pulled out the cap, and couldn't get it back in. I measured the springs and they are right at the wear limit, so soon will replace with progressives. Since I'm not heavy enough to push them down(belive me I tried), inspired in a tool I saw on this forum a few weeks ago, here's my version: Notice the 3 axis instead of 2. Started witha piece of 2"x6"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The smaller center hole is 5/8", the diameter of the extension.

a section of all thread that had laying around, splitted in 3 pieces, close to 21" each...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Cut a 1 1/2" slice of a roll of the stuff you put on the bottom of the drawers and shelves (laying around in the top shelf of the kitchen)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Added the top block of wood, ready to install the 24 mm socket and the 3 washers and nuts. Note how the cap is marked with a sharpie, to know its orientation where the thread "starts"(checked before without the upper spring)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Very nice,nessecity is the mother or invention,with a good thinker behind it. :claps::claps::claps::claps:

Jim

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Very good job from another wood worker!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yep, when I want to ride and the bike is in pieces, I just have to come up with something. Just wanted to share the making of this "tool" because it was built with a cost of $0.00 with materials most of us have laying around, or can get for cheap. The only thing better than cheap is free, as long as the caps are back in place, and nobody ends up with a cap in their eye socket.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

William_86 wrote:
way too much work to replace the springs,
I tried pushing downon the caps just with my weight standing on the pegs. Tried that for over 1 hour, with the cap poping away from the socket a couple of times, gave up. It took me 20 mins to improvise the tool, thanks to the pictures of other member's similar contraptions. 20 minutes to install and compress(takes a while to spin those threads), and 20 minutes to do the right side.

Sad to admit, I didn't even replace the springs, but since they are right at the wear limit will soon replace with Progrerssives, so if you know a better way to go out and in with the springs, please, do share.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you had the forks out to service them is easier to do it by hand with them off the bike, have someone to help you hold the fork tube while you thread the cap back on.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
if you had the forks out to service them is easier to do it by hand with them off the bike, have someone to help you hold the fork tube while you thread the cap back on.
William - You're sooooo organic.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
Not if they are Progressive springs, they stick out too far to put in w/o a tool to compress the springs, even stock springs area bear w/o the tool. On the bike or Off.

Besides, it was only 20 minutes, well you have to figure the handle bar time too, not 6-10 hours tearing the front end apart and forks off to change the springs and put it all back together, if you are fast maybe less, using the other wood block tool on this site.

With this tool design once made and you have the air valve in the caps you can change the fork oil every year in about an hour, 2 at max. Do that taking off the forks.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Nice! Question: While you were trying to install the fork caps, did you have the front end jacked up enough to raise the front tire off the ground? You'd be surprised just how much it helps when the springs are fully extended.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.