Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Folks , Finished the Timing Belts today on my 98 1500 SE. Follwed the step by step provided by our Forum and was easier than I thought. Couple of things, I used some scrap foam to draw some pictures of the TB cover to help keep the screws straight and then just plugged the screw into the picture I drew on the foam. Also my GW is all stock, so i found easier to remove both horns and the wire to the radiator temp gauge. Also save yourself some grief and just buy new radiator hose clamps, had to drain radiator again because one of the clamps failed. Other than that it was pretty simple, time consuming but not so hard. Took me about 3 hours to complete. Start to finish. Next on the agenda U-joints! By the way Bike ran so much smoother, and idled perfectly after.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Isn't the sharing of knowledge on this board a wonderful thing?

It has saved me hours of grief, not to mention many $$ :).

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
good tip to keep the bolts sorted out . Glad you have it back together and running smooth . enjoy the ride .

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Good to hear you got it done successfully. As you said it is not hard but does require your full attention. Best to leave the brews in the fridge until it is done! ;) The tutorial on this site is very good and the one Rudy posted HERE is a good one also.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Good job Man!

That's what this forum is all about!

But if it's so much smoother and better, what makes you think your U joint needs to be replaced, and not just, some grease?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Congrats! Many times jobs are easier than people think as long as you take your time and listen to knowledgable people.
I do similar with bolts - I will typically thread tham partway back in their hole or put them back in the holes of a part I removed. Like changing a timing chain on a small block Ford. About three different lenghts/sizes...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.