Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just wanted to spred a word of thanks to all who contributedtech support and ideas posted in the tech forum. Iassumed command of my first GWabout a month agofromthe previous owner of ten years. For an '83 it looked in very good shape, on the outside.. The fella was a decent sort who fully admitted to NOT being a mechanic,however could clean the heck out of a GW and keep itnice and shiny.

The list of items included a cracked saddle bagfrom being rear ended at a stop light. The rear brake did not work (I didnt know at that time that the rear brake was also coupled tothe front so I drove it the first few days with only onefront disk stopping the beast), classy amber driving lights that didnt work, a cooling system that had not been flushed for at least ten years, he made note of never having to add any coolant (???), both front forks leaked and obviously wouldnt hold air, and numerous other minor odds and ends. But it sure was shiny :D

Anyways, I've so far fixed all that, plus new timing belts, set the valves, and rewired all the accesories.. only item left is to set the carbs.. just gotta get me some gauges.

So.. between a Clymer manual, and alot of great forum info, I'm off an running without having to learn too many things the hard way..

Thanks, and wish you all mega miles of safe ridin..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ColdRider1058 wrote:
Just wanted to spred a word of thanks to all who contributedtech support and ideas posted in the tech forum. Iassumed command of my first GWabout a month agofromthe previous owner of ten years. For an '83 it looked in very good shape, on the outside.. The fella was a decent sort who fully admitted to NOT being a mechanic,however could clean the heck out of a GW and keep itnice and shiny.

The list of items included a cracked saddle bagfrom being rear ended at a stop light. The rear brake did not work (I didnt know at that time that the rear brake was also coupled tothe front so I drove it the first few days with only onefront disk stopping the beast), classy amber driving lights that didnt work, a cooling system that had not been flushed for at least ten years, he made note of never having to add any coolant (???), both front forks leaked and obviously wouldnt hold air, and numerous other minor odds and ends. But it sure was shiny :D

Anyways, I've so far fixed all that, plus new timing belts, set the valves, and rewired all the accesories.. only item left is to set the carbs.. just gotta get me some gauges.

So.. between a Clymer manual, and alot of great forum info, I'm off an running without having to learn too many things the hard way..

Thanks, and wish you all mega miles of safe ridin..
:waving::waving:Welcome to the World's Best Goldwing Website, Coldrider!:waving::waving:

:clapper:You did good on your first post by putting your location on your profile. That will just warm the cockles of REDWING's heart. It'll make him so happy he'll probably give Shep an extra biscuit!

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

ColdRider1058,

Welcome to the forum!:waving:

Sounds like you are off to a good start at getting your new wing into safe and reliable riding condition. I also have an 83 Aspencade and have had to perform a little (under the chrome) maintenance. Thanks to the members of this forum I have managed to stay on top of things and learned the correct way to repair and maintain my:11grey: without spending big $ at repair shops.

Bob

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Yes indeed ColdRider1058, welcome to the forum. Your experiences will allow you to help out other people here in turn.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hi ColdRider,

Way to go, now you can enjoy all your hard work.. Happy and Safe Riding.

dean_3326 :12red:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Cold Rider :waving: Welcome to the forum and i hope you can visit often. :clapper:

Gosh you seem to have learned a lot before you even got started. :stumped: Hope you have many safe miles on your :12red:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.