Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is my GL1500 earning it's keep. My customer had a cracked spinner mount on his Cessna. I went out there this morning to pull the propeller so I can replace the mounting parts. I don't have a truck, so all my jobs are done with my Goldwing and trailer. After I pulled the prop, it was set on 2 padded jack stands, and strapped down. 2 more jack stands were raised higher then the prop and a rod laid over the top of stands. The lid was then strapped down, resting on the rod. I had a 15 mile trip back home, and the prop, which is 79inches long, and about 50lbs, did not move a inch.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
imported post

my father in law says "if its a Honda its a truck" I would say thats a nice truck you got there..

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

FangGL1200 wrote:
my father in law says "if its a Honda its a truck" I would say thats a nice truck you got there..
Unless that Honda truck is a Ridgeline! :dude:

Yes...it's a nice "truck".

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The nosegear on that Cessna tells me it's a Cardinal RG.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Now that's just way cool!! Bet you love your job.

Dedub :18white:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote: The nosegear on that Cessna tells me it's a Cardinal RG.

Nope, not a Cardinal, maybe a 172RG or 182RG. The cardinal doesn't have struts and it has a flying stabilator, ie the whole elevator moves. This one has a horizontal stabilizer with an elevator....

Like the fact you do all your work from the bike and trailer, cool...............

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
Bagmaster wrote: The nosegear on that Cessna tells me it's a Cardinal RG.

Nope, not a Cardinal, maybe a 172RG or 182RG. The cardinal doesn't have struts and it has a flying stabilator, ie the whole elevator moves. This one has a horizontal stabilizer with an elevator....

Like the fact you do all your work from the bike and trailer, cool...............
You're right, it's not a Cardinal. never saw a 172RG, but have worked on 182RG's years ago.
Cardinal RG

182RG

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Cool, my dad was an A&P and we worked on all kinds of planes in the off season while waiting to get back to cropdusting... I miss working on planes.........

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, it's a ruinated 172, lots of extra weight and complication and not all that much more speed.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

exavid wrote:
Yep, it's a ruinated 172, lots of extra weight and complication and not all that much more speed.

Nope, it is a R182, a retractable gear 182. It is actually a usable retract airplane in that tucking the feet up helps, unlike a 172RG Cutlass, a 177RG is not much better than the 172, but it is better.

I have worked on a 177RG out of the trailer, I carried the jacks and all the tools I needed to do a annual inspection and gear swing.

Here are the jacks, they are WWII surplus, aluminum frame and bodies, solid steel 3ft long 3in Dia shaft,each has12,000 lbs capacity

The 2001 GL1800 in the pictures is currently for sale, see the classifieds

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Okay it's a ruinated 180!:cooldevil:The world's best utility airplane then they hung a nose wheel on it for those who can't fly.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
imported post

Not very knowledgable about planes but the wife and I did take in the Cactus fly in at Casa Grande Airport a few weeks ago. Very interesting. My boss had his plane there.:)

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Personally I would love to have a 185.......

Has the same engine as the AgTrucks we flew (300 hp)and I just love the sound of that Continental IO-520 with an 86 inch prop...........

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

Is it legal in the US to have different licence plates on the Bike and the Trailer? In the UK this is a big no no and a sure way of getting pulled over by the Police

Matt G wrote:
Here is my GL1500 earning it's keep. My customer had a cracked spinner mount on his Cessna. I went out there this morning to pull the propeller so I can replace the mounting parts. I don't have a truck, so all my jobs are done with my Goldwing and trailer. After I pulled the prop, it was set on 2 padded jack stands, and strapped down. 2 more jack stands were raised higher then the prop and a rod laid over the top of stands. The lid was then strapped down, resting on the rod. I had a 15 mile trip back home, and the prop, which is 79inches long, and about 50lbs, did not move a inch.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Not a problem here in the US. The bike and the trailer are registered seperately.

Do they have to be registered as 1 across the pond Koxx4?

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

Small Trailers are not registered here at all, but do have to have the same licence plate as the car ,so the speed cameras don't get confused or the police for that matter. :cooldevil::shock:

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

In Az, trailers have a permanent plate, but they can be pricy. I bought a trailer kit from Harbor frieght that was close to $300, the damn tags cost $200.
I looked into getting a personalized plate for the trailer, until I found out I would have to pay $25 a yr for it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In the US the law varies quite a bit among the States. For instance in Washington State all trailers have to be licensed and titled. In Oregon trailers under 1500lbs GVW don't have to be titled or licensed so that pretty well eliminates the need for motorcycle trailers to be licensed. License plates in the US are a lot different than those in the UK (I don't know about Eire or the Europe) here the State you reside in basically sells you the license plate and you validate it with stickers that show the month and year of expiration. You don't make up you own number plate. Licensing costs vary quite widely depending on the State and County you live in. In Medford where I live now it costs about $24 per year to license my 'Wing. In Pierce County in Washington where I previously resided it was over $70 per year, in other counties in Washington licensing a motorcycle could be higher or as low as $30. I'm sure it's all cheap by the standards of you guys across the pond who seem to pay for everything through the nose. It looks like we'll be catching up to your exhorbitant prices pretty soon though.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

In Az, it is based on age and value, The tags for my 88 are $25 a yr, plus $25 for the personal plate, while the 1800 is $240 a yr, with that decreasing every year. Plus where I am, Maricopa county, we have to have bikes emission tested, this is the only place in the entire US that requires motorcycle testing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.