Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I can purchase a 1983 GL-1100-Aspencade that has been garaged with 52K miles for $3,000. New tires and been sitting for couple of years. Is this bike worth $3,000?

I know a lot about bikes but the Goldwing is a special breed. Normally I would NOT touch a bike with these many miles. I would appreciate hearing from you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Welcome Mr. Perkins, welcome to the site. I have been amazed at the number of miles people are putting into these old bikes, so 52K is only beginning.

The Aspencade is of course the top of the line wing, the price sounds a little steep, or course the bike may be in excellent shape. Keep in mind that if the bike as been sitting for a couple of years. You will have to really go through it . . . carbs, belts, etc and could be looking at quite a few additional costs, depending on how much you wrench.

If you decide the bike is worth it to you, then great, enjoy!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Yep, $3000 is too much for an 83 model that has been sitting for two years. Actually, I wouldn't pay that for one in excellent running condition. We are talking about a 26 year old machine here and I wouldn't pay more than $1200 dollars for it. Of course I am cheap!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Here in SA you will pay +- R22 000.00 for a 1983 Wing in excellent showroom condition. A direct convertion at the current exchange rate of $1=R10.09 that means you will pay about $2180.00 . I think the price of $3000.00 is to high , but still a great Wing to have.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

3K is high. I would pay between $1500 - $2000. And like was said, there will be some costs related to startup after 2 years, belts, tires, battery, etc.......

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

New tires that have been sitting in a garage for two years are probably not so 'new' anymore. Someone will pay the man his asking price so you need to decide if it's the one you want and make an offer.

52K is just nicely broken in for a Wing - with a little preventative and ongoing annual maintenance you can expect at least another 125 - 175K more before anything major comes up.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

An old bike.............can be a pain.

How old are the tires? Check the date on the tire.

New battery
New fluids throughout, oil, coolant, brake fluids and most likely pulling the master cylinders and cleaning and rebuilding.Rear drive gear oil
New brakes, and rebuild the calipers.
New hoses on the cooling system and new seals and orings on the overhead
Carb work for sure, most likely pull and replace diaphrams and all that
Tank full of rust?
Throttle cables?
timing belts
plugs
igniton
ETC, ETC,ETC

Depends on if you wish to ride the bike daily and relax and just enjoy the bike or if you wish to have a hobby repair bike.

It is only my opinion and mine only and you did ask for an honest answer, but as for me if a bike is over 10 years old I would not even walk across the street to look at it.
It is not so much the miles that kill one, it is the age, non-use, and just sitting around.
If you do buy an old bike for a couple grand, it is not unusual to put that much into it just so it is safe and reliable to ride.

Depend on what you enjoy. I love to work on one, but as for a personal bike, one I wish to ride, I want a fairly new one, new and better brakes and all that kind of thing.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Have you physically been there and looked at it?

3000.00 is high, but 52K miles is low. If it has been garage kept for it's entire life it might be a keeper if you can talk him down some.

My 85I had 97,000 miles on it when I got her. She had set up for two years under a lean to ona barn.

With a limited amount of GW experience, I got her running and did the maintainence it needed and now have put almost 40,000 trouble fee miles on her.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Unless it was really abused or neglected it should have a lot of life left in her. 3k is too much as I am sure you are getting the hint from the previous comments. Make a list of what will need to be fixed (ie Tires, belts, fluid flushes, Battery, etc etc etc...) and go to a shop and get a quote for that Maintenance. Use that to negotiate the seller down to a reasonable amount. If the bike is in really good cosmetic condition and if it were completely road ready I might push 2500. I would start working backwards from there. I think by shop rates and parts etc you are looking at close to a grand of Maintenance to get her road ready.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

If it looks good enough someone will pay that. Make sure you check things over good like Kit said. I bought my 83 with mileage in the 60's last summer. I have since replaced the tires, brakes, starter, battery, water pump, and cut out and welded up a rusted out crossmember for the centerstand.

I probably got hosed pretty good on the price, but I don't regret it one bit...yet. The fun I've had with it has made it worth the overpayment.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The milesare not a problem; lack of use is.

I bought two 1983 Aspencades- one for $700 (78,000) and one for $2600 (61,000).

The cheap one had mice, lots of mice. Hidden was damage that I saw after analyzing no electrics. But the bodywork was really, reallynice. Bikes stored without use, all get mice eventually; they love GL1100 fairings! This thing sat inside storage for 8 years.

The expensive one, I bought during the height of the summer riding season. However, it was currently being ridden, and had a current registration/inspection. In addition, the guys son, who worked at a Honda dealership showed me evidence of new starter/stator clutch, brakes and new timing belts. In other words, everything worked and it was ready to roll. I test drove the bike 10-15 miles with the son accompaning me on another bike. The body work/chrome was immaculate. Brakes were great. No dragging or mushyness.

Maybe people will disagree with me, but from what I have seen, all bikes sitting 2+ years almost always have clogged carbs.

so....for $3000

Buy a currently running and registered bike. Find evidence of repairs and/or service. Bodywork and chrome should be excellent for top price. Check electrics for functionality.

That's all I got.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Fuzzy- My bike looks exactly like yours, chrome and all in the back.

Execpt for the center stand, that other stuff are consumables. So, if you like the bike now, you didn't get hosed.

I do walk across the street for 10+ year old bikes if they are really nice condition. If my budget was large enough, I would have a GL1800 and a GL1100 in the garage. They do qualify as an antique and they represent something that if in good condition, can do 400 mile days, continuously.

I just like the style too

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

First of all thank you very much for everyone that responded. I was amazed and am certainly grateful. I received very good, very sound, advice from experienced people. I am listening to everything you had to tell me.

The bike has been in a garage which does help. And I see that the old malady of sitting in storage as being a problem applies as much to a Goldwing as to any other bike. I will see the bike either today or tomorrow. Here is the link to the posting on Craigslist so you can see two kind of blurry pictures:

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/mcy/990613702.html

I actually sent the link to this forum to the owner so he is going to know where I am coming from. I am not a great mechanic and don't want something that turns out to be a "project." Some work? No problem, but major stuff is more than I want to get involved with.

Again, thanks for all the information. It is most helpful.

Mike

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

mrperkins,

Welcome to the forum. You've certainly come to the right place for info. I did a search of the Kelly book for the retail value of that bike and the asking price may not be too unreasonable. The book states a value of 2755, assuming it is in excellent condition.

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/PricingReport.aspx?VehicleId=231369&VehicleClass=Motorcycle&PriceType=Retail&ManufacturerId=18&YearId=1983

Prices vary wildly in different parts of the USA so what some of the guys might consider unreasonable may not be so in your area. You might even find someone on this forum from your area that is knowledgable about Wings to come out and have a look at it with you. It wouldn't be a first. These guys really are Wingnuts!

At the very least I would take alook at the buyers guide on this forum and make note of all the things to look for. Having sat for 2 years is a minor factor in my estimation. The last 2 Wings Ive owned have sat for some time prior to me getting them and I haven't had any problems. Haven't even had to have a tune up done. Just a bit of preventative maintenance and a can of Seafoam and away I went. I figure as long as they're getting better than 45 mpg I'm not going to fiddle with 'em.

Good luck with your hunting. I did just see someone point out that they've seen 1500s going for around 3000 in another thread so if you're not averse to travelling you may be able to do better with that amount of money.

p.s. Miles, what you talking about: "12 weeks til we ride"??!! I'm on the road by April 1st and that's only 10 weeks! :action: Snow must melt slower on the north side of the city

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
mrperkins,

The book states a value of 2755, assuming it is in excellent condition.
A Bike that has "been sitting for a few years" is not in excellent condition. Depending on how it was stored a complete carb overhaul is called for and that alone is $425.00 here: http://www.oldwings.com/services.html#carb That does not include brake system flushes/ rebuilds as needed, Cooling system flushing, Fuel tank flush/ cleaning, Timing beltreplacement, Battery replacementetc etc..

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Is this bike worth $3,000?

Sitting for two years? Unless he's done extensive work to prevent gumming of the carbs, I'd say HECK NO. I paid $500 for my 83 Interstate.

Mine sat for a while in a back yard and I had to rebuild the whole carbs with Randakk's kit, along with all fluid changes and the PITA front brake issue.

BTW for just a hair more you can find a decent GL1500.
Here's one in St. Louis. High miles but you can talk him down to probably $3600 as he's buying a new Wing.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/980045560.html

Here's an 83 for $1800.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/962245871.html

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The value of something is what it will fetch. I figure the guy will take less; so make an offer. Try $2000? List dealer prices are inflated as an idividual won't guarrenty nada after the sale, gotta be less value.

Eventually, the both of you will know what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Columbia? We could meet like in Lebanon for a root beer float or something. Enjoy whatever you end up with.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
p.s. Miles, what you talking about: "12 weeks til we ride"??!! I'm on the road by April 1st and that's only 10 weeks!
wpgfire - best haul out a calendar - April one is 12 weeks today bud! I actually plan on riding the last week on March or sooner but 12 weeks is pretty much a guarantee. It is going to minus 49 on the north side of the city tonight - what's the forecast in the south? CHIT it's C:realshocked::shakehead::sozzled::realshocked::shakehead::sozzled:LD. :snowman:

mrperkins - if you have access to a battery I'd take it with you so you can hear the bike running. Might even be worth while buying one if you are seriously considering. If you can't hear it run - I'd be saying thanks but no thanks.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I gave too much for mine. But I don't see this forum till after I got it. Bought it in May which isn't the best time for a bike, they demand high prices in warm weather plus gas was $3.00+ rising. Its a 83 and I gave $3000 for mine and it had 55k on it.It was from a car dealer that got it local from a 70+yo guy I'd met. I wish I'd of seen this forum sooner but the deed is done so I'm going to continue to enjoy it another year then upgrade. If it turns out as good old bike as mine then $2000 would be a good price since it sat. Whip out the Seafoam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.