Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two weeks ago a lady decided to pull out of an adjacent lane into my lane causing me to grab the front brake in an effort to avoid a collision. Sure enough the front wheel locked, my wing skidded and down I went with a broken shoulder to show for it.

I have lots of time now to contemplate this accident and was wondering what the collective wisdom might be around proper braking and also ABS

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear of your bad luck Pooroldthing. I don't know the answer to your ABS querie, it may well have in theory, but I sure sympathise with your discomfort, have been down the broken shoulder route after being hit by a cage many years ago. Hope you are soon up and riding again and with more luck in future.

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like braking technique might need a bit of practice. If the front locks up like that I'd guess you are leading with the front and being slow and light on the rear. If the brakes are in good shape, it's a matter of hitting the rear brake hard and come in with the front up to the pressure that will make it skid. On dry pavement you should be able to apply both brakes quite hard without front skid. A skidding rear wheel isn't going to make the bike uncontrollable as a locked front will.

It's a pretty sure thing that ABS would not have allowed you to lock up either wheel, but it won't necesessarily stop the bike any more quickly. In fact an expert with manual brakes can stop shorter on pavement. The ABS pays off for those of us who don't have that fine a touch and it's really a good thing on less than good road surface.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

PoorOldThing,

Truly sorry to hear about your broken wing but it will heal in time. The Big Wing however will stay broken until you fix it. So get well and get back on ASAP.

The 1800 has linked brakes which I think is a major plus in that situation. You never get 100% front and 0% rear which helps balance the braking load and keeps you upright longer. I opted for the ABS and I can't say enough about it. Tests indicate that a expert rider, under ideal conditions can stop a bike more quickly with standard brakes than the ABS. But the last time I looked we on the SSGP were mere mortals. In a real white knuckler the ABS eliminates wheel lock, hopping, skidding and keeps the rear wheel at the rear rather than alongside.

If you have no plans to upgrade your ride anytime soon work on your technique. Perhaps a refresher course once you get healed up. I'm not criticizing but sometimes it takes a big kick in the ass to remind us that we still have much to learn.

Best of Luck

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

When I ride in traffic like that, I really make an effort toNOT ride beside cars for any length of time. If they pass me it's fine because they probably see me, but still minimize the time near the car.

If I'm passing them I make it very quick to minimize the time spent beside the car I'm passing - even if it means a short burst of throttle and temporarily exceeding the speed limit. I also ride in the part ofmy lane farthest from the person I'm passing... this gives me time to either brake or accelerate when they merge into my lane.

Pay attention to the drivers... if you see them looking into the mirrors, turning their head, or even starting to merge, that should be a danger sign.

Keep you head in the riding... and if you haven't done so lately, take a safety class or at the very least read a safety book. They teach you stratagies for staying out of trouble.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
imported post

I truly hesitate to offer advice on braking techniques as I have had my share of spills through lack of skill and experience and the impetuosity of youth; this was many years ago - youth is a distant and receding memory. To get to the point: on non-linked systems I would not advocate using the front or rear brake singly in normal riding conditions although when trickling through heavy traffic i.e. feet more down than up,I would use the front brake alone.

More usually, with a non-linked system, I would apply both brakes together with the front fractionally preceding the back, which tends to keep the bike from getting out of shape, then applying the required amount of pressure for the particular circumstances. This applies even in an emergency stop. I think it virtually impossible to recovera serious front wheel lock-up/skid once the bike starts going away from you, whereas rear wheel mishaps are much more forgiving.

With a linked system, as on the 1800 & 1500, (I'll standing correcting) the handlebar lever operates one front disc and the foot pedal operatesthe other front disc and the back disc at the same time. Consequently, if only the handlebar lever is applied, it is possible to lock-up the front.

My 1800 has abs which is operational according to my dashboard warning lights but has never been utilised (you can tell when absis in use). Ditto with my car. I think an activated abs is an indication that a rider's or driver's technique has failed.

I now stand by for the flak.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

To bad you live in the great white north and not below the 49th

then you could sue her big fat As*

D*nm cage drivers I'm in the midst of trying to find some air horns that fit under my fairing You should try driving in Hongcouver

Boy three guys jumping on your driving when you are down my sympathies

Neil

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I didn't see anyone jumping on PoorOldThing. He asked a question and it was answered. I'm sorry to see anyone hurt. I guess it comes from my viewpoint, if I do something that gets me in a bind, I'm more interested in figuring out what when wrong than eliciting sympathy. Sorry if I don't come across touchy feely but I guess I'm kind of old school. As for living below the 49th parallel, we all don't jump up and sue someone, I've had the same experience as PoorOldThing, just been luckier not necessarily more skilled, at the time. Never occured to me to sue, just another tuition payment in the school of hard knocks.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
imported post

hi all,get on with the healing process "poor old thing",sometimes these things happen ,how many times have we all had that near miss then later thought to our selves what could have been?would "abs" have helped in this case?we'll never know ,1 good thing is your still in 1 bit and probably no lasting effects (hopefully) . accidents happen ,we all just hope it is'nt us,hope you recover sooner than later and back on the bike where you belong!!!all the best;)bri,sunderland ,uk.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
To bad you live in the great white north and not below the 49th

then you could sue her big fat As*

D*nm cage drivers I'm in the midst of trying to find some air horns that fit under my fairing You should try driving in Hongcouver

Boy three guys jumping on your driving when you are down my sympathies

Neil
When something goes wrong there are too many people that have the attitude of, "it's all thier fault, I'm going to make them pay, or this is going to make me rich." This shows poor character and an attitude that will get you in trouble. This is also the attitude that results in higher insurance rates, skyrocketing medical costs, and the list goes on.

I've been riding motorcycles for 25 years and have never had a serious accident (knock on wood). Aside fromdumb luck I attribute my lack of accidents to taking safety seriously, staying informed about safety issues, and learning from other people's mistakes.

If you ride a motorcycle you have to accept that things can go wrong. That's why it's so important to arm yourself with the knowledge and training to be a safe rider, and to wear protective gear. No matter how much its the other's fault, you're the one who will suffer. It's so important to minimize those risks in yourself - it's YOUR responsibility no matter how ignorant the cage drivers are. To think any different will only make you or your family suffer, even ifthe accident wasthe other guy's fault.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

PoorOldThing,

This accident is growing more painful with every post. Perhaps the best lesson learned is not to tell any of us.

Hang in there.

PS: They are all right!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey PoorOldThing :waving:Im very sorry to read about your accident, :crying:and i sincerely hope you make a good and fast recovery. :clapper:To answeryourquestion which heads this thread :baffled:"Would ABS have prevented this Accident" YES. :jumper:When you apply ABS brakes on any vehicle they dont stop you any quicker :shakehead:but they allow you to manoeuvre around the offending object under a certain amount of control, :rollingeyes:and in your case would have prevented you falling off your wing.:clapper:Hope this helps to answer your question, and get well soon. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Axlwick

This from a guy who lives in the most litigious country in the world

Are you implying that I have poor character cause I choose not to beat up on a guy when he is down unlike some on this forum

PS ABS would have really helped the 86 has split braking which is close. I have yet to lock up the front end

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
Axlwick

This from a guy who lives in the most litigious country in the world

Are you implying that I have poor character cause I choose not to beat up on a guy when he is down unlike some on this forum

PS ABS would have really helped the 86 has split braking which is close. I have yet to lock up the front end
ccsailor

I guess you didn't read my post. I'm implying that people who are quick to sue have poor character.

You are stereotyping when you say, "This from a guy who lives in the most litigious country in the world."Yes, America has a problem with frivolous lawsuits and I think something needs to be done about it. Other countries also have the problem; its notjust the US. I've never been sued in the US, but I have been sued in Germany.

And I'm not beating up on anyone. I was only trying to give some advice so the accident won't happen again. If you think I'm beating up on the guy then you arethin-skinned (or you need to work on reading comprehension).

Are you going to sue me now because you think I assaulted your character?

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Lads :stumped: Take it easy, there is no need for arguing among ourselves. :baffled:

Everyone is sorry for PoorOldThing and his unfortunate accident, so just leave it at that, and wish him a very speedy recovery. :clapper:Good night and thank you.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

Pooroldthing, get well soon. hope the wing (bike) will recover soon also. Randy

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Just glad you are still here with us!!!

Ride Defensively!:clapper: