Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If dyna 3ohms coils were put on, would I still need the ballast resistor? Points are in the bike instead of electro ignition

Of the two, which or would either function with having breaker points still?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up: I took the Goldwing over to eastside performance to have it wired up, guys saying the coils are getting too hot and aren't showing spark. I asked him to try and trim the wire down a bit to rid of the frayed ends of the coil wires, he recommends eBay used coils for mounting reasons, I'd prefer something new out of a box however don't exactly have the coin to throw hundreds at a set of oem coils, would the 1100 coils function the same or ballpark enough or would those 3ohm dyna minis function better? If I did either, would I need a new ballast resistor?

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
Probably should put in a 1 ohm resistor. If your coils are getting hot and not firing the points are probably not opening or a short to ground in the wiring or maybe the condenser is shorted.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I'm not familiar with those coils but they look like single output coils. The 1000 still has the wasted spark. right? Need double output coils???

EDIT: I see now/ The top set has double output.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I've worked on old bikes for many years. With 3 ohms you have lower resistance. These are used with electronic ignitions. Points and condenser use 5 ohm coils. The 3 ohm coils with points will get hot and leave you on the road.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The condenser was brand new, so the top ones labeled for the cb and 1100 would be a better go to for all accounts and purposes, should I get a new ballast resistor also to be safe?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Not really the bikes listed in the top one are all electronic mot points

·
Administrator
27,106 Posts
The condenser was brand new, so the top ones labeled for the cb and 1100 would be a better go to for all accounts and purposes, should I get a new ballast resistor also to be safe?
Hard to say, they don't go bad. Those coils on the top say they are for 1100s 80-93 & 1200s but 80-81 1100s had a resistor and 82 on did not.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Coil information sheet from above coils.
Ignition Coils Caps and Wire For Honda CB650 GL1100/1200

Ignition coils, caps and spark plug wire for the Honda CB650 and GL1100/1200, see fitment list below. This is a great kit if your updating the 30+ year old electrical system!

Kit Contains:
Ignition Coils - Quantity 2
NGK 102 Degree Spark Plug Cap - Quantity 4
Spark Plug Wire - Quantity 8 ft.

Coil Information:
Ohms: 2.5
Coil Length: 80mm (3.1")
Total coil length including wire leads and mounting brackets: 125mm (4.9")
Coil Diameter: 53.5mm (2.1")
Mounting holes are 102mm (4") apart center to center.

Replaces Honda Part Numbers: 30500-422-003, 30500-422-013 - Coils
Replaces Honda Part Number: 30700-MC8-000, 30700-KR3-670 - Caps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts