Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

College starts in January.

I would like to know if anyone out there, that lives close would help me go over my bike (GW).

My bike is my main means of transportation.

This year so far I put 20,000 mile on my Nighthawk 750 between college and work.

I average 880 mile per week in the spring semester and 770 miles per week in the fall semester.

I have a short in my radio. Sometimes it plays then shut off for the rest of the ride.

Backbrake sticks,startingsometimes it acts likes it struggles,thedash lights arenot that bright.

The back shocks seams to lose air.

I know it iswork in progress, till I get it the way I want to.

Eventually, I want toput on apoor boy kit, or make myown. I read stories that at low rpmthebikedoes charge till about 2,500 rpm. The simple changewould be make theprimary pully bigger therefore the alternate rotates faster at lower rpms.

Another question not related to the GOLDWING, but my NightHawk. How to check if it is a starter or a started soliniod? It started when I push start it.:?

I will sell it after I solve this problem, andput money inmy tutituion andmy Goldwing.

Thank you in advance.:applause:

Dan

ps

I live in Port Charlotte, FL.

I work third shift. My days off are Monday and Tuesdays.

IF the weekend is good. I wake up around 12 to 1:00.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

If you were closer, we would be "wrench buddies". But even if you don't have wrench buddies, I would recommend you start with a repair manual, metric set of tools, torque wrench, and impact wrench to get started.

Oh and read as much as you can on this forum. Plenty of knowledgeable people here.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

My radio was doing the same thing a while ago, ended up being one of the many wires going into the plug in the back of the radio had a break in it, loose enough to touch then pull away again, from memory it was one of the red ones, good luck, theres about 5 red ones, hope you sort it out, nothing worse than a wing with no stereo.
Merry Christmas

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Looking under Port Charlotte member listings, there are other GW riders but all are 1800 riders, Check the towns/cities near you. There was a guy w/a 1500 near here that even went so far as to put an ad on craigslist for help and a member responded.
Look on the FL list below for guys in your area around you w/1200s and send them a PM to see if they have any knowledge on their bikes and if they can help you out. There are members who aren't on much that might be able to help you.

Fl listings
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_user.php?region=Florida&country=USA

So its just the radio problem at this point? You can put in a car stereo with an adapter but won't have intercom.
You radio might have a circuit gone bad inside which would require pulling and testing/fixing. Sierra Electronics does those repairs and Wayne is a member here. You could email him to see if he can point you in a direction to repair if it can be something simple or more complex.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

could be just one of the contacts on back of radio but as others have said may require maintenance at sierra

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

I live in Fort Myers, just to your south, but am very new here and have been learning as I go. The guys on here are some of the best around and will help you with most any problem you may have.

Not sure if I would be much help but am willing to lend a hand as I can. PM me and we'll exchange contact information.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I'm 80 miles north of you. PM me if you need a hand and we'll get you going for the semester.

·
Registered
54 Posts
imported post

dan, if you want to give me a call i am available after 6:00 mon- fri, and anytime on the weekends, i also have a good working radio that can be tried to see if it is radio or wiring, if it works its yours, i know what its like without a radio on long commutes.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Good job for stepping up for Dan boys!

Side note..........I used some radio shack electrical switch cleaner/lube on the main plug on the back of my 1200 radio and it made a world of difference. I give it a blast a couple times a year.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Boy, I'm glad I'm not only one who scrambles to try and deal with this crap in between semesters :cheesygrin:, I'm also glad to see another college student riding a wing, there ain't that many of us. Definately start with contact cleanerat theconnector to the radio,also poke aroundunder the left pocket in the fairing, could just be some shotty wiring down there.

As far as the nighthawk, what does it do when you push the botton? A click... anything? Could just be a fuse on that one. I'd startchecking voltage and track it back.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

It just clicks. Love the GW for the locking storage, because with my nightahawk, I had to stap my backpack with my laptop and book to the sissybar. Not very confortable get gas. Someone could had taken it. The small cloth saddle bags only could hold 1 book. What are you studying?

I major is CIVIL and Environmential Engineering. Work is 37 one way from home. College from work or home is 54 miles one way. Therefore on a college day with work, I ride 170 miles. 2011 spring semester I rode 880 miles per week and 2011 Fall semster I rode 750 miles per week.

I work on Babcock Ranch property for AMIKIDS.org down a 3/4 mile sand dirt road. I almost got my bike stuck and dropped in the sand because being to soft.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I'm a Chemistry major, I'm only about 10 miles from campus though.

I know this is a little out there, but if it's just clicking, have you checked the battery? Could be that the charging system is working but the battery's not holding.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Also check the 3 yellow wires on the left side of the bike to see if the connector is melted. You may need to solder them. This has to do with the charging circuit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.