Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,522 Posts
whats the mileage on both bikes? i have several, like '93 I 1500 with roadsmith trike kit. parts are getting hard to find.
if the BMW is well cared for that would be my pick
What parts are you in need of? I can provide you with sources if necessary.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm on my 4th Wing and the cruise has never worked on the 85 LTD or my current 89 and I use a throttle lock all the time without any problems. Yeah, you've got to play with it a little to maintain speed but it's not a deal breaker for me. We live in NE Indiana where the land can be flat or extremely hilly.

As for not having reverse, now that I've been spoiled by it, that may be a deal-breaker on future purchases LOL. As others have said before, I would learn to park it to where I can drive out or roll down backwards or ask my better half to give me a push.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
If all your riding is done on land flat as a pancake, I suppose a throttle lock would do.
gumbyred
Just writing here, no argument on my part.

I live in western part of Virginia at south end of the Shenandoah Valley, west of Blue Ridge Parkway and east of West Virginia (the state). Most of my riding is hilly.

I have both hands on the grips usually anyway, the throttle lock (VC or Vista Cruise) is adjusted just snug enough to hold throttle in place against return spring. It is with very subtle / minor pressure with right hand that I adjust throttle to load with no constant pressure required to hold a position. I like the Vista Cruise as it can be released with just a flip of my thumb in town, etc if desired. Vista Cruise allows me to point out hazards to anyone behind me in view, such as if I were leading a ride, with either hand while maintaining speed / power setting.

It's like a "Quick Release Grubbing Screw".

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you everyone for all your replies.

My situation is rather complex. I was living in Western Wa and I have moved to Easter Wa. I now live near Yakima. Part of the move was for my wife's health, but it involved her no longer working. I also stayed with the same company I work for, but have a new position and make slightly less money. During this time we have paid off any debt and the only thing we owe on is our house and my 2015 CB500X. The CB500X is for sale now. I have very little cash and need to find a bike I can pay cash for. I am a Mechanic and have been for many years.

The last thing I want to do is to go buy another bike and put it on credit. I would rather buy a bike that needs work, and fix it up to meet my needs and spend a little at time, even if it costs me more in the long run, as long as I can pay cash for it as I go.

I am going to go look at 2 bikes tonight and will see how that goes. Both need work and come as a set. My plan is (if I get them) to fix and sell one, fix and ride the other.

I have no fear of working on bikes. I have an Associates in Auto and Diesel Tech from UTI(30 years ago) and have worked on everything from cars and trucks to Military Aircraft(14 years Air Force), heavy equipment and industrial machines. Goldwings are simple compared to what I normally do.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Best of luck and Good Health to you and your wife during this hectic time of "transition".

Come on back if you need any tips on fixing them rides.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I decided not to get the Interstate, instead I bought an 84 1200 Aspencade and an 89 1500. I got them as a package deal. The 1200 is real nice, had a poorboy alternator on it, but the bracket broke and now it has no alternator. The 1500 needs a battery and a lot of love on the plastics. It has Cruise and Reverse, no CB. I will clean them up a little and post pictures of them. I will have many questions I am sure. BTW I got both bikes for $500 + $100 in fuel to get them home from Spokane.
Maybe you all can help me decide what bike to keep.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I'm glad to see you settle on something that you wanted. I think it was a wise decision. Looking forward to hear more from you and them pics will be great too.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well, I decided not to get the Interstate, instead I bought an 84 1200 Aspencade and an 89 1500. I got them as a package deal. The 1200 is real nice, had a poorboy alternator on it, but the bracket broke and now it has no alternator. The 1500 needs a battery and a lot of love on the plastics. It has Cruise and Reverse, no CB. I will clean them up a little and post pictures of them. I will have many questions I am sure. BTW I got both bikes for $500 + $100 in fuel to get them home from Spokane.
Maybe you all can help me decide what bike to keep.
Like your handle - have a soft spot for mopars. Regarding the poorboy install on the 84 1200, have an upper and lower bracket that I will not be using, made myself. Reason I'm not using these is I am onto rev 2 of the upper and lower bracket. Should work, can always modify. If you PM me your address, I will send.

Good luck on the projects.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I am looking at buying a 1500. However I seem to be short on the funds required to get that 98-2000 SE with all the bells and whistles.
I have run across a 91 Interstate in my area that seems to be in good shape for the money I can afford(without a loan).
I know that there will be no reverse, no air shocks, no CB and a few other little things. But, do I really need them?
I am 6 foot tall with LOOOONG legs and healthy so I might be able to get by without the reverse.
How does the Interstate do 2 up without the air shocks to adjust?
My thing is that I am selling another bike that I owe money on to get out of the payment. What I will be left with is some cash to get another bike. My 2 best options for what I am wanting are a 1988-2000 Gl1500 or a 2000-2004 BMW K1200lt. And before you knock the BMW, I had one for several years and they are a good bike.
However, at the price point I am looking at, sub $2000 I seem to be finding Interstates and nothing else.
To answer your Question, I would not hesitate to buy this. Maybe keep it for a year or two and trade it in for a newer wing if you want.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
To answer your Question, I would not hesitate to buy this. Maybe keep it for a year or two and trade it in for a newer wing if you want.

Thank you for your advise. I did however decide to buy a 89 1500 (and a 84 1200 with it) because it had reverse. It is cosmetically not as nice, even though the 91 was far from perfect. I figure over time I can make the 89 look good, but I can never add reverse. So, I would be stuck with it or have to later buy another bike.

I am OK with riding an ugly bike for a while. I just would rather own an ugly bike than make payments on a pretty bike. Someday I will have the money for something pretty, now it just needs to be reliable and function.

Anyway, I got the 2 bikes for $500. The 84 is much better looking than the 89 and will need very little to make it a great looking and riding bike. I think the 89 will be a great riding bike, but not good looking.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I am OK with riding an ugly bike for a while.

Anyway, I got the 2 bikes for $500.
Just how ugly is it?? Again, pictures??

Two bikes for $500.00 sounds pretty good. Did you get titles?

Rayjoe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just how ugly is it?? Again, pictures??

Two bikes for $500.00 sounds pretty good. Did you get titles?

Rayjoe

These pictures are right after being pulled out of the yard it was in, no washing or anything. I have some more pictures of the 1200, but can't get them off my phone, its being stupid right now.

I have washed it, and cleaned up a few thing after this picture

As of now I have the title to the 84 GL1200, but not the 89 GL1500. I will be getting a 3 year registration from Washington state and after that I will get the title, unless I can track it down before then.

I have them both running, the 84 needs a new Alternator, it has the poorboy conversion, but the Alternator is missing. Other than that I need to look at the clutch, may need bleeding and replace the choke cable.

As for the 1500, it runs and everything works so far except the rear brake, same may need to be bled.

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,719 Posts
In case anyone is curious, I moved this thread when I finally noticed it was in the technical forum. Not a technical thread.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Pictures

Yeah they look a little rough, but $500.00 for two running bikes. I think you did OK!

Besides, you needed some mechanical therapy.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
403 Posts
You got a Steal of a deal, nice projects and the 1200 looks pretty good. You will be riding before long.

·
Registered
98 Posts
my '93 gl-1500, had 62kwhen i bought it. there was a slight noise in the front end of the engine, so i had the shop replace the belts useing gates belts and the and the idler s. which i bought new. the belts looked new when they were removed. the noise went away. a friend had a '90 gl-1500. with 124k on the bike and has had no problems at all.
i also replaced the main fuse with a 50 amp maxi - fuse and the others with a mini fuse. that way mini fuses are readily available at any parts store. also my starter relay was kinda worn, so i replaced it with a new one. all these parts were bought on-line.
all i need to do now is bleed and replace the brake fluid. they recommend that you replace the rubber deal under the cylinder front and rear master caps, so i ordered the early, again on e bay. the idlers cann be rebuilt. info available on-line but i bought them new. about 50.00 (us) new

21 - 40 of 40 Posts