·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

If you are the methodical type it could be a good deal and there's lots of help on this site. Personally, I wouldn't touch it as my lifestyle doesn't allow me the time it would need to put it together. Your situation is likely different.

From a money perspective, consider the following from my boating experience.

One person built a boat and ended up paying half of what his neighbour did fora similar factory built one. However the neighbour got immediate use of the boat with his family while the builder spent thousnds of hours locked away in a shop with toxic fumes and away from his family.

The one that bought a factory boatput in extra hours at work to pay for the boat and only slightly changed his family arangements. When the builder worked out hishours, hehad saved on an hourly rate, less than the legal minimum wage. He did have the satisfaction of building his boat and that was, to him, worth the effort. Two paths, neither were wrong.

Ifmy lifestyle were differentI would love to restore classic vehicles even if it wasn'tof financial benefit.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Well, it would sure suit my lifestyle, and I would be all over that puppy like a wet blanket. Great longish term project, but not too long, as, as yousaw, delays lead to lost interest.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Guys

I am sorely tempted. Even my wife didn't baulk at the idea!:cool::cool:

My only concern is that itgets rebuilt and the engine is knackered.

what tests could be done to check the engine in the condition it's in? I am OK with an 1100, never even sat on a 1500.

:baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:

Roy

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

if it was only 8 miles from my house i would do it. at the very least you could strip it down and sale off the parts after you were done playing with it.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

once mine was painted, it took maybe a week of evenings to bolt it back together. easy project. just take your time and read the manuals.

JUMP ON IT

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I do not see the exhaust system anywhere in the pics ,that would be an expensive item if it was rusted or missing ,But for the price that is on it now it would be a good deal ,even just to sell off all the bits on ebay .You would make good money for them . Ciaran

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the selling of parts.You would have a ton of phone calls! Good luck whatever you decide.jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Go for it.

It would be interesting to read a blow by blow account of how you are getting on.

There is a wealth of information available on this site I am sure everyone would be happy to advise you if/when you come across problems.

Terry

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

A 1988 parts bike...already taken apart?

I'd be on that quicker than one that's running....then I'd buy a newer one. There is big $ in parts bikes.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Just got back from seeing it,

The exhaust are there but one side is shot (silencer only)

Not going to give too much away as Idon't know who else is watching this. There are issues, not visible in the photos,but that is why I went to see it.

Not sure if 'parting it out' is as big a money spinner here in the UK, much smaller client base.

One for consideration.

Cheers for the comments

Roy

:stumped:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Reminds me of my 1st wing. 1982 GL1100A Two tone brown. I called it my "BOX" o wings. It had been sitting for about 6 year in a garage. All of the plastic was off and there was damage to the fairing. Wiring harnesses everywhere.

Rebuilt all of the brakes, Carb, forks, shocks, rear, unstuck the motor,took out the tank to clean, repaired and painted the fairing all outdoors in my back yard.

Crazy you say !!!! Well yea but there's a great felling of accomplishment to get it all back together and only have a few parts left over. Only one draw back...wondering if you've forgotten to tork a bolt in the front end while [email protected] 80 mph.

Lots of good rides, learned alot about the insides of a bike and I still see the guy I sold it to riding it. I'm proud to have saved such a pretty Wing.

If you've got the time it is a long but rewarding experience. I don't have any problem jumping in to try to repair the ones I have now after that project.

Good luck

Dale

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Roy you have to think of how much you are willing to bid, then have you space to do the work. Are you able to do the paint work? With the proper manual and all the parts? assembly will be a great way to understand your bike. Does the owner have the log book?or is this bike a insurance write off? If all seems good then you should have a good buy and with time a great bike.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
imported post

It's a 'no brainer' if you ask me, snap it up and then, once it's in your garage, you cantakea bitmore time towork outif it's worth rebuilding or parting.

Providing you don't outbida sensiblevaluation, you won't lose.

Looks a fairly easy rebuild unless you go down the road of stripping further, then it could end up a longer term money pit.

GW

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Good luck. Let us know if you get it.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

Uhmn :goofygrin::baffled:

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

That's about what my bike looked like after I wrecked it and disassembled it. (laid it down when a deer jumped in front of me, ended up in a ditch.) If the motor is complete and good, it's not hard to put the pieces back together again. A good manual is a big help, plus I had the advantage of having disassembling it in the first place.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.