Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As I put the finishing touches on my latest painting, I ask myself, and you guys..."wouldn't you all love to have an old Triumph or a BSA?"

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

I've only owned one. I bought a TR-650-C new in 1969, and you'd better believe I wish that I still had that scrambler.....

Too soon we grow old, and too late we grow smart.... :gunhead:

By the way, "Great Likeness" :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

dean,

That is a great painting,,,thanks for sharing it.....:clapper:

dean_3326

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Actually, it's still a ways from being done...I just spent three hours doing "little bits of business" around the gas tank and the Triumph inscription on the kneepad attachment on the tank. Is there a special name for that rubber knee protection pad on the side of a gas tank?

www.geocities.com/deanroosevelt/

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

dean,

you talking about the old BSAs ,,,,,,Check out these guys in 1959 at a BSA Shop in Big Spring Texas,,,Webb Air Force Base was located there....

dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean wrote:
As I put the finishing touches on my latest painting, I ask myself, and you guys..."wouldn't you all love to have an old Triumph or a BSA?"
In a word no! I had a late 50s 650 Triumph when I was a teenager. It had certain similarities to a 57 MGA I owned later. They were both beautiful to look at, but lacking much interest in going everywhere I wanted to go. I tend to think of them as tuition to mechanic's school rather than serious transportation. I'll never forgive SU and Lucas.

They were beautiful though...:clapper::15red::clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Paul,

I am with you on those undependable old bikes and foreign cars, I have pushed them more than I wanted to...........,,,I remember seeing them on the side of the highway a lot....not to mention having the kickstarters trying to send you to the moon if the timing was not correct,,,which was most of the time..........

dean_3326 :12red:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Paul,

I am with you on those undependable old bikes and foreign cars, I have pushed them more than I wanted to...........,,,

dean_3326 :12red:

This make me smile - British bike unreliable :shock:eek:f course they were:D, that was part of the fun!, it is a pity you never had the experience, having such iconsto reliability as the Harley you were spoiled. [methaphor pathos puns parody and satire}
I would have a broken down Bonneville against an electra glide any day ,

at least you could push the feckin thing a fair distance. :crying:

You could buy and run a bonneville for a month on the time and effort you have spent getting all the factory recalls done on your £17000 1800 - its all relative methinks. [and irrelevant] :goofygrin:

BB

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

dean wrote:
Is there a special name for that rubber knee protection pad on the side of a gas tank?

http://www.geocities.com/deanroosevelt/

Just always called them Knee Pads. Came in real handy on the long, twistydown-hill ridebeforeexiting the "SKY-LINE DRIVE" toward Front Royal, Va. 5-6 miles in neutral with NO HANDS, just to say we did it. Oh to be 18 and stupid again.

Most of my buddies went to Woodstock, my best friend and I spent a week camping and riding two-lane roads to Virginia Beach, Washington D.C. and home. Amal carbs, twin points,darkness by Lucas, and growing-up on a Triumph, 2 gallons at a time. The trip was inspired by our draft notices. That seems like an awfull long time ago.

I repeated the trip in 87 on an Aspencade, with my youngest son Pat, as a passenger. The price of a camp-site and fire permit,(how time's changed),got us a motel room in Hampton, Va. The boy wanted to camp, so I looked up an old Air Force buddy in Clifton Forge, Va. and used his back-yard. Rich and I reminiced about the times he borrowed my Trumphet to ride home on occasional week-ends from Langely Air Base.

I guess I'd call that coming full-circle... :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's another thing Harley's aren't as good at as people think, if you've ever ridden a one lunger Beezer 440 thumper you know what I mean!

:whip:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

BB

no pity needed, that was my point, I have had all the fun and experience from them I want,

been there done that.....I would not take anything for the experiences and having the bikes back then...I just am not to eager to go through it again.

you did not hear me say anything about comparing them to harleys. I have had BSAs, triumphsand Harleys in the past , they all have their own problems.

I like all Motorcycles, especially these :12red::12red::12red::12red:

happy riding,

dean_3326.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't have a Bonneville. Those carbs keep going out of balance.

I do have a Tiger (Bonnie but with one carb). Much better but I don't like taking it far. When I stop I lose half the coffee in the saucer 'cos I'm still vibrating.......:cool:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Black Bart:

You lived up to your nom de plumme in that posting.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
you did not hear me say anything about comparing them to harleys. I have had BSAs, triumphsand Harleys in the past , they all have their own problems.
My pointcomparing the HD to the BSA 440is that the one lunger could REALLY show some vibes!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Paul,
not to mention having the kickstarters trying to send you to the moon if the timing was not correct,,,which was most of the time.........
More than once I've had an old bike tell me not to do that by trying to break my legwhen I forgot to set the ignition to retard. I wonder how long ago the last bike was built with a timing control lever on the handlebars?:stumped:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Graham B wrote:
I do have a Tiger (Bonnie but with one carb). Much better but I don't like taking it far. When I stop I lose half the coffee in the saucer 'cos I'm still vibrating.......:cool:
Hi Graeme
Yep I used to have a tiger also many moons ago, there wasn't much competition back then....:baffled:
The :12black:wing:12black: is a welcome improvement

and thanks to Dean for helping keep the dream alive :waving:

Happy Easter Ya'll :clapper:

BB :12black:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Gooooo Awayyyy!!!!

The BSA's I rode in the 60's constantly broke down.. Weak chain sprockets, chains, transmissions and carbs... No... Never...

You've got to think GOLWING<<< GOLDWING<<<<GoLDWING... :12beige:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
dean_3326 wrote:
Paul,
not to mention having the kickstarters trying to send you to the moon if the timing was not correct,,,which was most of the time.........
More than once I've had an old bike tell me not to do that by trying to break my legwhen I forgot to set the ignition to retard. I wonder how long ago the last bike was built with a timing control lever on the handlebars?:stumped:
I have had almost all the triumphs and BSAs ever built ,,,I remember buying 3 BSA M20s from the army auction here in Ireland and they had the lever on the handlebar for the timing ,,they were around 1950 and I bought 3 of them in 1969 for the costly sum of 3 pound ,thats around $5 for the three of them ,,they were a single cyclinder 500 cc that fired at every second lamp post ,,You needed a rubber leg to start them ,,it was easier to get a few people to push it rather than chance getting the your knee pushed into your mouth ,,,

My last one was a 1966 BSA 650 thunderbolt and my last triumph was a 750 trident ,,I then got sense and went Japanese and have never looked back ,,No more oil on the floor ,no more sore legs from starting and pushing ,,no more getting the Bus back home on a sunday after taking the bike out for a trip and leaving it there ,,

no more trying to see the white line in the middle of the road at night or trying to hold the handlebar steady in traffic with one hand while the other hand was used for hand signals ,,And no more vibrating for 2 hours after getting off the bike ,,

God am I glad I never bought a Harley ,,the British bikes were punishment enough ..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
exavid wrote:
dean_3326 wrote:
Paul,
I have had almost all the triumphs and BSAs ever built ,,,I remember buying 3 BSA M20s from the army auction here in Ireland and they had the lever on the handlebar for the timing ,,they were around 1950 and I bought 3 of them in 1969 for the costly sum of 3 pound ,thats around $5 for the three of them ,,they were a single cyclinder 500 cc that fired at every second lamp post ,,You needed a rubber leg to start them ,,it was easier to get a few people to push it rather than chance getting the your knee pushed into your mouth ,,,

My last one was a 1966 BSA 650 thunderbolt and my last triumph was a 750 trident ,,I then got sense and went Japanese and have never looked back ,,No more oil on the floor ,no more sore legs from starting and pushing ,,no more getting the Bus back home on a sunday after taking the bike out for a trip and leaving it there ,,

no more trying to see the white line in the middle of the road at night or trying to hold the handlebar steady in traffic with one hand while the other hand was used for hand signals ,,And no more vibrating for 2 hours after getting off the bike ,,

God am I glad I never bought a Harley ,,the British bikes were punishment enough ..cheers Ciaran
You would have loved the old 1952 flathead Harley 45 I used to have...it had the awkward foot clutch, 3 speed shifter mounted on the fuel tank, left grip to turn for spark advance at the same time you twisted the throttle with your right. It made a very nice puddle of oil at each stop, I did not have to worry about pushing it very far either.....because I couldn't..
Now don't you wish you had bought one?.....ha
dean_3326 :12red::12red::12red::12red::12red::12red:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I am sure glad I started this thread...you guys have the best stories I've heard in years.:clapper::clapper::clapper:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.