Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got back from a ride and I'm pumped.

Bought a '99 SE (with just 47k miles) last spring after 10yrs with no bike. My first Goldwing. Took some time getting used to the size and weight but had fun all summer (3500 miles). Put it away in November. Put the battery in this weekend and fired her up with no issues. Checked fluids, tire pressure, lights, and put 100 miles on it (we finally got some warm and dry weather here in Upstate NY). All that's left is an oil change and some soapy water and wax.

Probably need new tires after this summer and I'm considering a new windshield. Night riding is a little scary with the swirls in the plastic. I'm6' talland Ihave to sit very tall to see over the top of the shield.Maybe an F4Customs but they are expensive.

We also bought a Yamaha VStar 650 for my wife but we stored that in the shed and put the Wing in the garage for the winter. The shed's still snowed in and it looks like another week or so before I can get it out for her. She likes her throne on the Wing so she's not too upset (yet).

I love this forum. I've learned so much just reading. Thank you. Summer is almost here. Happy (and safe) riding to you all!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You could just cut the windshield down a bit. Lower it all the way and cut it down enough so you can see over the top of it to the ground about 50-60 feet ahead when sitting normally on the seat. In rainy weather during the day you can just pull it up for a bit more rain protection. Those swirls can be pretty well buffed out with some plastic polish and a buffer or drill with a buffing bonnet.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

Instead of soap and water try Lemon Pledge. No worries about soap and water getting into places they don't belong, (electrical connectors), and it Spiffs the shine right up! Might help out with the swirls in the windshield also!

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Jimswing,

Like Roscoepc saiduse pledge on your wind shield. It takes out the small stress cracks and makes itlike a new wind shield but you have to do it every time you washyour bike.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Welcome Jimswing,

Glad to hear of others getting back into riding. Good looking bike.:clapper:

Michael

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well, I gave in at Americade a couple weeks ago and bought the F4customs windshield. I went with the 4" taller shield to cut down on the wind for the missus.

The F4 guys were great! I wasn't sure about staying with stock height or going with a taller shield. Dave said he'd install the 4+ and if I didn't like it, we'd try something smaller. He let me take it and ride with it overnight promising to switch to a shorter shield or put my old windshield back on if I didn't like it.

Momma said it cut down on the wind for her and I found that I could look through it without a problem. It was also much more quiet than with the stock height windshield. I could hear sounds from the engine I didn't hear before and of course the radio was even easier to hear. I went back the next day and said I was keeping it.

Rode through rain last week and the water beads up and sheets off like it was coated with RainX. Big improvement in visibility. However, the rain drops curl over the top and either slide down the inside or drop down on the handle bars. I'll try adding a lip to the edge with plastic tubing and see if that helps.

Overall I'm very happy with the F4custom windshield. I can clean it with Windex and paper towels. Expensive but so far I like it. Next: new tires. I'm thinking Michelin Pilot GTs.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Oh noooooo Jim, don't use windex or paper towels or you'll have swirls in your brand new windshield. Really, that's what I was doing and my son introduced me to lemon pledge and a really soft cloth. It works like magic getting the bugs off and no swirls whatsoever. Windex is not good for lexan (or lexan type materials) Even if you have a windshield with swirls, lemon pledge works wonders in getting them off. I also use it on my helmet visor. Hope this helps and I'm glad you're enjoying riding again. There's nothing like a wing.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

F4 Speedglass has some kind of coating that stands up to windex incredibly, they suggest using it. Does that mean that I would use windex on my new F4, not a chance in hell! I figure that whatever that coating is, chemical cleaners will eventually weaken it and shorten it's life. That being said, I carry a damp terrycloth wash cloth in a ziplock bagin my side bag and an old tee shirt. I clean off the dead bugs with the wash cloth and then dry it with the tee shirt. Everytime it ends up looking like brand new. At a trade show, which I believe is shownon their website, they show a windshield wiper being used on an F4 wrapped in STEELWOOL. They ran that wiper for 10 hours before it shows sratches and that pretty much sold me. I'm very tight when it comes to my coins during these hard times but when it comes to the windshield on my Wing, I'd probably pay twice what I paid for my F4for quality of that level. Scratches on windshields drive me crazy and this shield is the best in my opinion.

Respectfully,

Ed

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
imported post

We saw that very same demo at Americade this year. The steel wool didn't bother it. The F4 will be my next wind screen.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

While they say Windex and paper towels are OK, I'm not ready to do it. I use Cycle Care 33 and a micro fiber cloth. I carry a small spray bottle of it and and the cloth in a zip lock in the trunk. That stuff is great for melting the bugs.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

On the way to Calhoun last year I didn't carry any cleaning supplies. Didn't need it because for some reason every time we stopped the bugs disappeared from my windshield.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

PLEXXUS is the stuff, a little spendy but worth every dollar. Have used it for a long time now. Very easy to use and an excellent swirl remover. Works on all surfaces too.I dont think you can go wrong with this product. Look it up on the net. Give it one try you, will be an user.. Ride On....................

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Something else to think about is how those swirls get there in the first place. We put them there. People owning classic cars and bikes will tell you never clean you bike or windshield with "wax on wax off movement" (circles). Your rag that you use will pick up micro size particles of dirt, which in turn scratch, over time you will see these as swirls. A straight motion should be used for all cleaning and waxing. The new veneers they are using on plastic windows (yes veneers) are pretty much indestructible. They are bonded in a manufacture process. They are hard and can withstand lots of chemicals. But with the mixture of assorted plastics and polycarbonate out there, and it's added hardness veneers, you just are not sure what you have. So play it smart. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.