Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dearly beloved said 3 bikes are too many, sell one

500 most economical
virago 750 cost me nothing and only have £200 in it
1100 wing, doesn't get used, needs money and lots in it

so thought will list on ebay, put a £500 starting bid and was honest in the description, maybe too honest as it turns out

10 day listing only one bid, 1 hour to go and wife says, 'your not selling her for £500'
' keep all 3 but dont tax and insure all 3'
insurance no problem no extra for a second classic bike and the 500
if only our new government would bring back the 25 year rule, 25 and older free road tax, last government removed that in 98 not long after they were elected

same goverment gave £1000 to scrap a perfectly good car to buy a new car, usually Korean so no help to the uk motor industry

So I pulled the wing and my adventure on ebay cost me £8, since then I've balanced the carbs and always thought the comments about engines with a death rattle were an overstatement, found out its true, 2 carbs or 1 out of balance and you're waiting for a rod to make a break for freedom. Am now waiting for a shipment from the states with a header pipe from a GL1000 for the nearside, need to find an o/side one and then get a couple of sportster silencers.

Now I need to decide what to run next year, 500 and 1100 or 500 and 750

decisions, decisions, decisions

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Glad the Mrs came around and let you keep the bike . Yes you got some decisions to make . Could be tough too . At least whatever you decide , your still up on 2 wheels :action:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

So how much does this tax cost
wilf

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Yes, people really don't get just how much rattle an out-of-sync carb condition creates.

I've purchased GWs from folks with out of sync carbs before and while I'm giving them (very little) money, they think that they are dumping a near-fatal disaster on me.

If they only knew.... ;)

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Good for you Phil, holding onto the Wing. If you sold it, you might never get another one.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Phils a winger at last wrote:
same goverment gave £1000 to scrap a perfectly good car to buy a new car, usually Korean so no help to the uk motor industry
...is that where our "CASH for Clunkers" scheme came from not too long ago?

My beloved Clunkers were shivering in their tires there for a while.. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
So how much does this tax cost
wilf
To tax a motorcycle the size of a Wing (1000cc or over) costs us about $100US, a year. We can tax a vehicle for 6 months, rather than a year, but it is more expensive, pro-rata.

We also have MOT (Ministry of Transport) test, which has to be done annually and that costs us about $50US, providing that the test station finds nothing wrong that fails the test.
The bike must be MOT tested and insured before we can tax the vehicle. All three must be done before the vehicle may be taken on the road for any other purpose but than to go and have the MOT test done, then is just needs the insurance and a time of day that the bike is being tested, logged with the test station ( usually a bike shop) doing the testing.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

wilf

500 is £50 for the year, no 6 month option

750 and 1100 both cost £48 each for 6 months, never tax for 12 months unless I have to

it's a pain cos you've also just paid nearly £30 to have an annual MOT test

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sorry Pete
hadn't got to the bottem before I posted my reply

as for fails on MOT, all 3 have advises or fails

750 rear shockers have an oil mist (now bad leak)
1100 exhaust blow and front tyre close to limit
500 took an early sleep as front tyre on the limit

Always in the winter when I'm driving 4 wheels I think I'm getting too old for this, then I fire up any one of em and put on a helmet and yee haa, what was I thinking ?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Phils a winger at last wrote:
Dearly beloved said 3 bikes are too many, sell one

decisions, decisions, decisions 
From the title of this thread, I couldn't tell if you were considering selling a bike or your wife!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I think you made the right choice. I will never sell my Wing, unless I am upgrading to a newer Wing.

Yeah, I know. Famous last words.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

just had a card to say there is a parcel at post office, ordered a header pipe from cyclent in us, didn't think it'd be here for weeks.

problem is just had a bust up over her spending £40 on a hair cut and hadn't told her about ordering the headers, oops!!!!!

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

The prettiest girl in town almost had sex with me.

Did you give someone blue ba_ls?

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

parcel was header pipes,8 days us to uk including customs

I've seen parcels from London take longer to get to scotland

she's talking to me, mind you she buy a pair of shoes today.......

How many shoes does a woman need????

wrong question, correct question is how many pairs of shoes does a woman want ?

answer PLENTY!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.