Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 83 wing, the windschild is getting scratched and pitted and I am looking at replacing it. I have found several options one being a wrap around style. Are there any advantages to this. I know I want to go to a taller one but not sure the wrap around would be of any advantage as it costs more.

Any thoughts, suggestions.

Randy

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Randy, I have a raparound and it cuts down the wind on your hands a bit, but thats only good in the cool weather that I get up north here. These don't come in the tall sizes, only standard height. the rest is only to put decals on that don't get in your way. Hope this helps. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I was wanting to get a taller windschild as my wife get a lot of wind, how tall is too tall. I have several options. I just don't want to spend money on a real tall one and not like it. I have been looking at the ones with the vent in the bottom part, are these worth it?
Thanks
Randy

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I have no experience with a 'wrap a round' screen, but will tell you that a vent will help reduce the buffeting a bit, by inducing a bit of air in that big 'calm air pocket', so that the air going over/around the screen isn't 'sucked' in so much towards the rider's head/torso, trying to fill the 'void'.
Windscreen height canchange the amount of buffeting/turbulence/noise a rider/passenger gets. It's an 'experimental thing' with a lot of varying factors. Height, width, shape of windscreen and height/riding position of rider/passenger. What may work well for one, may not work so well for another.

I am 'old school' when it comes to windscreens. I prefer to look over a windscreen at where I'm going, instead of through it. I also do a fair amount of night riding and more than my share of riding in the rain.

Looking through a windscreencan be very hazardous in those conditions, especially when those riding conditions are combined with the glare of oncoming headlights!! :shakehead: .... never mind when conditions are right and the screen fogs up and you can't see through it! :doh:

If
, you avoid riding in any of those conditions, than a tall windscreen that forces you to look through it, may be the ticket, for you. :baffled:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I just recently bought a slipstreamer tall windshield for my 1100. I was considering the wraparound, but i wanted to se over it. The standard was like 20", tall was 22", and wraparound was 26".

With my new tall if I stretch i can see over it, but if I sit normally I'm looking through the top 2 inches.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Randy, I've just had my 1800 since September... it came with wings added on to the side of the windshield. It's been a few years since I had the old 1100 Goldwing, and I didn't remember being buffeted around so much. I thought my wing extensions would help protect me. I've folded them all the way forward, effectively making them disappear, and couldn't tell any difference. So if that's what a 4 inch wider windshield is like, it's not much different.

Also, I have a factory vent in my windshield. I never open it. When I do (at highway speeds) I get a roaring wind in my chest. Can't imagine that I'll ever be up to speed and feel the need for more wind hitting me, so when I have to replace this windshield I'll probably get one without the hole to mount the vent, and just go with the clean uncluttered look. I'm not impressed with the vent; I never open it, and it's just more stuff to clean.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I've got 2 windshields for my GL1200. One is a tall wrap-around and the other is standard height with a vent.

I like the tall wrap-around shield when it's cold out. Like below 40, otherwise it's way too warm for me. I get almost no air on me when I ride with that windshield.

I much prefer the vented windshield. I can control if I want some air and how much.

I guess I would recommend going with the vented shield unless you do a lot of cold weather riding. But that's just my $0.02 worth.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

ke aka wrote:
Randy, I've just had my 1800 since September... it came with wings added on to the side of the windshield. It's been a few years since I had the old 1100 Goldwing, and I didn't remember being buffeted around so much. I thought my wing extensions would help protect me. I've folded them all the way forward, effectively making them disappear, and couldn't tell any difference. So if that's what a 4 inch wider windshield is like, it's not much different.

Also, I have a factory vent in my windshield. I never open it. When I do (at highway speeds) I get a roaring wind in my chest. Can't imagine that I'll ever be up to speed and feel the need for more wind hitting me, so when I have to replace this windshield I'll probably get one without the hole to mount the vent, and just go with the clean uncluttered look. I'm not impressed with the vent; I never open it, and it's just more stuff to clean.
A vent would be a help if stuck in heavy stop and go or slow moving traffic on a hot summer day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.