Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on my dream trip to Dallas and Indiana and sitting at a red light someone rear ended me. I am ok and bike is mostly cosmetic damage but when I drove it to my sister's house 10 miles away it had a low speed wobble when I let go of the handle bars and it banked hard left. I am curious what type of things should be looked at here. I was hit fairly hard but went about 5 to 10 feet. My hand was on the front brake and clutch in. I figured I let go of the clutch and fell to the left on the ground bike on top of my left leg of course. I am wondering if that small of an impact could actually bend something on the forks, triple tree etc....It all seems pretty tough to me. What else should I consider or tell the shop to consider, fork tubes etc? Let me know what you all think.

Since it will be an insurance claim I guess I have to take it to the shop. Since neither want to work on my bike generally, I am worried they are not going to be very willing, or capable to do this repair. Is it possible the insurance company would let me do the work after the estimate was done at the shop?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Rear-end collisions can do a few things -- rear swingarm and bearings, frame, along with the forks and tripple-tree would all be on my "things to verify true" list.

If you were on the front brakes, a tire-slide/skid can leave you a flat spot (induces slow-speed wobble).

A quick look at the forks can be had by unclamping one tube at time from the tripple tree and then turning the fork tube through one full revolution while feeling and watching for tight spots and out-of-true behaviors (generally. I'll spin 1.5 revolutions 540*) then retorque the one you're looking at before trying the other tube. Inspect both tubes,then run a test ride. Having the tubes half-a-rotation out from where they were before should make NO difference in ride. You'll still wana inspect them for true on a v-block or whatever, but a bend generally shows itself pretty quickly this way. Since the upper tree mount depends on the tubes and the clamping force of the steering nut to the head bearing's retainer lock-nut, it's not uncommon to have bends get the bars all outta position. How are your shoulders and arms feeling?

That'd be first stop just to see if the bike can be made safe -- the lugage mounting and the airpump bracket also kinda take the brunt of a butt-ramming.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like taking the front wheel off, right? I may leave it up to the shop first. I have it strapped on the truck and no ramp so when it comes off the truck it needs to be at the shop.

I am OK, just sore. Ankle, forearm and a nice bruise on the gut. Trying to figure out where the scrapes and bruises come from. The one on the belly has me puzzled. I am guessing the right handlebar grip as I went forward and it went down, twisting the wheel to right and grip into the gut. None of my injuries are worth an attorney to get to involved which is a good thing, but what I am hearing so far, the only way to make sure you don't get screwed on the deal. As it is now I am probably going to be out the majority of the transport cost home, $1600 and I am concerned it will be enough damage to total it. Parts alone are around $2000 and not sure on the wobble fix, plus labor. Not to mention I just put $800 in it the last 2 months on tires, progressives etc...

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
Doesn't sound good and glad you are relatively OK.

Let me know if you have some parts for sale. Insurance companies are very quick to write things off.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Sauceman, I'm not positive, but if they do total the bike and pay you out, you may still be able to keep the bike and sell it for parts (making some or all of your recent parts money back) or fix it. Sorry to hear about the accident. I'm sure you'd rather have that wing in great condition like it was.

If you need any help drop me a msg.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya my brother had a wreck not to long ago and they sold him back his shadow 750 for $1100. I will just have to wait and see. It is starting to look like the guy wasn't covered which means I will have to have my insurance fix it, I will pay the $500 and be out the $1600. Then they will start suing the owner of the van, the company it was registered to and the driver, and maybe in a year I will have some money back. That is a lot of money for being the victim.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Ya my brother had a wreck not to long ago and they sold him back his shadow 750 for $1100. I will just have to wait and see. It is starting to look like the guy wasn't covered which means I will have to have my insurance fix it, I will pay the $500 and be out the $1600. Then they will start suing the owner of the van, the company it was registered to and the driver, and maybe in a year I will have some money back. That is a lot of money for being the victim.

You serious Clark?? You were hit by a guy driving a company van and the company van did not have insurance?? Or enough insurance to cover you??? Someone is feeding you a line of crap right now.

A company MUST carry insurance for other to drive their vehicles, without that, you need that attorney back.........

I would be contacting the company that owned the vehicle to see who there writes the checks...... I guarantee you they will make their insurance company pay.... or at least push them to pay, it the insurance company or the company themselves that have to write the check. Id be on the phone.......

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya they have insurance but the guy driving wasn't listed as an authorized driver (sounds like their problem). Kelly Law firm is going to help to whatever capacity they can. They don't charge a fee for property damage and there is no big settlement since the injuries are minor so they are only minimally interested, but still better than nothing.

·
Pwhoever
3,342 Posts
I had a similar incident several years ago where I was rear ended and the guy took off. I had to chase him down and was able to grab him after he wrecked out in the car he was driving. Lucky for me because how else was I going to get him to stop with me on a bike and him in a car. He tried to run off but with a little "persuasion", I was able to convince him that it was a bad idea and to stay put. Turns out the car had insurance and belonged to his dad but he had a suspended license and that meant that he could not legally be insured. His insurance gave me the run around. I finally filed with my insurance to get the bike fixed. I had to pay the deductible at first but later it was refunded to me as they determined that I was not at fault and continued to get the runaround from the other insurance company. I'm not sure how that finally ended, all I know is that I was able to get my bike fixed and got my deductible back...

And BTW, glad you weren't seriously hurt in the accident.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.