Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I *JUST* got it back from the shop, and eveything was SO good. I spent all weekend putting on Christmas chrome, and was riding to work this morning for the first time since I got her back. It's a 60 mile ride through the mountains from home, and I got about 6 miles from work, and while going around a turn I hit something slick (ice, roadkill, don't know). The next thing I know, I'm in the dirt next to the guard rail, and since it was muddy the brakes locked up and I kissed the guard rail, quite firmly.

I twisted my knee, skinned the heck out of my shin, but since I was in all the right gear I didn't even tear my clothes. The bike, however, will need some plastic and other bits. So, if anyone knows where to get a fairing for an 83 Interstate, left saddlebag cover, and maybe an engine case guard, I'd appreciate it.

Luckily, I was riding safe, not speeding or being stupid - wrecked at under 40 miles per hour. Like they say - Ride safe, roll with the punches. :)

Still so sad about my ride...

Jack

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Hi there Jack,

Sorry about your mishap. You really were lucky not to have injured yourself, perhaps only your pride? Just shows how essential the right gear is even if you do "ride safe", I am sure there will be help with the parts from someone who reads this.

Regards,

Steve18

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I assume Left engine case guard? I think I know where one is. Also, your best bet is ebay. You may even find one in the right color.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hard luck Jack, glad to know you got away lightly. I'm sure you are very happy to have walked away.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey jsmith24, :waving:Im very sorry to read about your accident, :crying: but the most important part of your mesg was, :clapper:"You were able to walk away" :clapper:

You will find the parts you need for the wing, :grinner: if you had needed parts for your body it would have been a different ball game. :crying:Ride Safe. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the kind words, all. More info...it turns out that the tires (old Dunlop GTs, about ten years old), well, the front one separated between the tread and sidewall, and off I went.

Upon closer inspection, the case guard is fine, but I find myself in need of an 83 front fairing (upper), and a left saddlebag cover.

Everything else, with the exception of my new clutch lever, seems udamaged. Oh! and the little "GL" emblem on the front fender is gone! The shame! :(

Oh well, a skinned shin, a dislocated shoulder, and some muddy clothes are a small price to pay for the lesson learned.... DON'T TRUST OLD TIRES (TYRES)!

Jack

....still gonna ride, just need some tires.... :)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well put, brother.

Jack

Redwing. wrote:
Hey jsmith24, :waving:Im very sorry to read about your accident, :crying: but the most important part of your mesg was, :clapper:"You were able to walk away" :clapper:

You will find the parts you need for the wing, :grinner: if you had needed parts for your body it would have been a different ball game. :crying:Ride Safe. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

jsmith24

2 hail mary's and a how about that!

Glad you weren't banged up too bad. I don't want to sound negative believe me, but still at that speed you may have other bike problems, forks, frame, shocks, etc. stuff that is not real visible at the moment. Just be careful when she's pieced back together for the first while and be attentive to any changes in sound and handling.

Kyle

Get back on her and giver!!!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

jsmith24

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you weren't hurt any worse.

I hope you get up and running soon!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Kyle wrote:
jsmith24

2 hail mary's and a how about that!

Glad you weren't banged up too bad. I don't want to sound negative believe me, but still at that speed you may have other bike problems, forks, frame, shocks, etc. stuff that is not real visible at the moment. Just be careful when she's pieced back together for the first while and be attentive to any changes in sound and handling.

Kyle

Get back on her and giver!!!

Trust me, I'm having our local Goldwing shop (that's all they do) give her a sound going over.I'm impatient, but I'm also a tad cautious (and smarter than the average bear).

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Attaboy!!!! I love Yogi Quotes!!!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

There are plenty of goldwing parts on ebay. I have just bid $5.00 for a chrome winshield trim for a gl1100. As I ride a 1200 I have attached the details if its suitable for you.

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.