Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK so I know before I get into this some of you are gonna have a jolly old time makin fun of these things.

But I have a serious question. is there anyone here who either has em or has had them in the past who can tell just how much of a flogging a person would get from them. I'm thinking about putting them on my Wing both in the from of lever wraps and from the ends of the grips. I like the looks of them and they would be a perfect way to terminate some custom grips I'm int he process of building.

So some real input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I will say that it will depend on what fairing you're running as to how the wind comes around it.

I have a 27" leather get-back that hangs from my clutch lever, and I end up tucking it between my leg and the tank, or flipping it across the instrument cluster on windy days because it whips around so bad.

Correction, I forgot you aren't running a fairing.

A suggestion I can make is to get half a dozen shoe laces, cut the aglets off the ends, tie them around the end of your brake and clutch levers and go for a ride as a cheap way to test it.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
imported post

I can't say about the grip fringes, but my '78 came with the lever fringes and I have no problem with them at 80mph on the highway.I canoccasionally feel them flapping a bit in the wind, but for the most part I never really notice it.

I should also add, after seeing Mike's post, I'm running with a Memphis shades style windshield which probably allows more air/wind across the grips than a Hondaline or Vetter fairing would.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. I'm actually working on a home made fairing/windshield/mess that hope doesn't look to horrible when I'm done.

The Wing is down for the winter already, in fact it's about 30% dismantled as I'm takin it down to the frame again this winter for a good cleaning and stator replacement. And a few other things I've been puttin of.

I guess I'll find out in the spring when I put it back together.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I bought a set that taffy was hawking awhile back. They do reach up and flap my wrists. I trimmed about an inch and a half off. doesnt bother me any more.

I dont know what purpose they serve, other than getting comments by people. Lots of people say they look good.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I had them on my two banger and liked them. I had them put on at Sturgis one year to match the bike. They whipped about a bit and once in awhile they would bite me. This never bothered me because it would keep me alert! I have thought of putting them on the wing when I go to Sturgis next year. Depends on your tastes I guess. IF you like them, put 'em on! The type on my bike were called iron braid and were guaranteed for life.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I had them once, hated them for 2 reasons, whipped me to death, and made the levers feel too thick, and was hard to use the clutch and brake properly. Cut them darn things off after a 150 mile trip. Besides, as a person checking out my bike (GL1100I) said, it made it look like it was being ridden by a 5 year old on his trike.:shock:

After thing about it, I detirmined he was right.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

add a pair of ruffled chaps and you'd be ready for a long ride

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I just put new Kuty grips on, so my long, black Roy Rogers grips are on my Honda Shadow.

I liked the way they looked & sometimes put a couple black rubberbands on them during the longer trips. The pair only cost $10.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I think my sister had some of those on her tricycle when we were kids.
She liked them.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

start wearing a tweed skirt, and drinking Sherry:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

They were on my 86 I when I took possesion. Haven't had a single issue with them and the stock Honda fairing in the last 30K miles.

On a lighter note, they do tend to keep the flys off your hands while riding with Harleys at slower speeds...:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

I ran 10" floggers on the levers of the 99 and had no problems except they kicked the cruise off every once in a while and occasionally wrapped around my hand.

Personally I like the look of them :action::action:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I got 10" one on mine. If I'm wearing a proper riding jacket then its no issue. Don't even know theyre there while riding. I think they look cool on some bikes. But to each their own, its like floorboards on the 1100. JR

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanx for the input guys. I actually like the looks of them. So I'll be puttin them on my Wing next year. if they bug me I can always take em off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.