Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

Geez, just priced some rear shocks for $350 apiece:shock:, talk about price gouging, that's ridiculous! Anyway, won't pay it, no way, shape or form, and never will be that desperate! And from what I'm seeing on seat pricing is close to being overboard. I sure hate to wait until winter gets here to get decent prices. Does anyone have goods or have knowledge of these items at a fair price, that will fit an 84 GL1200? I don't mind used at all if in good condition. Thanks in advance!

JSB

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

:readit:The older these bikes get the harder it's going to be to get pristeen parts . Especially if they are discontinued from Honda. It all depends what you can live with as far as perfect is concerned.

I sure wish I could find aperfect or near perfect trunk lid for my 85 LTD at any price :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

Just snagged a set of original shocks for my 84 Wing off Ebay... $51.. already on and working fine.. Been watching Ebay for awhile and have lost 2 auctions in the mean time, but this tiem thewing gods smiled on me....I still need a speedo gearbox....

I did see a couple seats for sale here... take a look.. smooth sailing to 'ya....

C Trooper... aka Paul

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I've found a pretty decent price for a pair of Progressives (under 300) that I just may have to break down and get. My derriere is refusing long rides until I do something drastic, and I've found some places I've just got to go this September. Everything I've read about Progressive shocks is positive except their cost.

Thanks for the leads, still needing a good seat that won't cost me my first born.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

JSB, I read in a past posting here about a rebuild for the GWing shocks... its worth a read if you are tool savy....:waving:

Paul,

As I mentioned, a very complete (with pictures too) set of instructions for doing this are on the GL1200Goldwings.com web site under the Suspension sub-topic.

If you search that sub-topic for "rear shock rebuild" or something similar, you should be able to find the thread with those instructions.The guy posted a PDF file containing the instructions for people to download.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Brand new set of Progressives sitting on my desk....heh heh, $$OOF! :readit:

Wife's back is more important than my pocketbook. So is my butt.
:kissing:

Still I hope I find a deal on a Corbin seat before the Trail of Tears ride.

For Sale, two very used rear shocks, cosmetically great, in need of rebuilding!

Peace!

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Hi,I have a seat and drivers backrest off of an 84 aspy.If your interested send me your e-mail in a PM and I will e-mail you some pics.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

Rebuilt mine and installed Progressive a couple of months back. Best money I ever put into my bike. And my wife's back agrees.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Just a followup - I put the Progressives on a few weeks back and was pleased with the results. The install was fairly easy too, with the exception of aligning the bushings through the bolts and shims, which was a little time consuming. The new shocks did raise my bike up a bit, which I figure is the correct height - as before we would sometimes bottom out on a speed breaker, and putting the bike on the center stand is much easier now. The ride comparison is quite contrast, but still I'll pamper my wounded pocketbook for a few months before my next "rear end" investment. Total cost shipping and all from JC Motors, $329.21 (whimper).

Once the rear of the bike was stable, it really highlighted other problems, such as the front end diving a bit in the left front fork. I do see oil on the wipers, so I am now ready to tackle the front forks and put new bushings/seals in since this is a fairly inexpensive improvement.
:11red: Fork Oil recommendations are welcome.

I'm setting the seat purchase aside for a bit, though greatly needed. Thanks for the recommendations and offers received.

:2finger: I would like to poll the forum as to which you feel is the better seat (for your "seater"), Corbin, Saddlemen, or other?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.