Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please please excuse the crappy wording. At this point, I'm frustrated, had a horrid week, and my mechanic is up in Wisc. with some family issues. So the bike is still down and my stress is WAY overpowering my PTSD meds the VA has me on, so my verbage sucks.

·
Administrator
24,409 Posts
Kind of acts like the exhaust is plugged or the cam timing is off.
I have a set of 93 carbs, but I don't know what it takes to make them work on an 88.
PM sent

·
It aint rocket science
3,810 Posts
With one slide inoperable you are essentially running on half an engine with throttle opened wide and are drowning the other half, I would not be too concerned at the moment about the spitting.

The vacuum hose goes to a thermostatic bi-metal strip which opens and closes the hot air door for intake air. Whenever work is being performed requiring air box removal and engine running that hose should be plugged.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Like DriverRider said, with one vacuum piston not moving, it's not going to operate correctly, which might cause the fuel spitting issue. Here's a quick test - throttle up like you were, but then using your finger, carefully move the left vacuum piston to about the same position as the right one and see if the fuel spitting stops. If it does, you know it's not really a 'problem' - once the left piston/diaphragm is fixed, that problem should go away.

Re the left vacuum piston/diaphragm - as others have said, since it was just rebuild, the diaphragm may not have seated fully - it's less likely that it's torn (my first reply I didn't know the history, but it sounds like you recently had the carb rebuilt.) You might find that it's just not seated right and getting it re-seated might fix that problem. Some people soak the diaphragm in hot water for a minute and say that makes it easier to get it to seat properly. If you've got it this far, and your mechanic is away, you might want to try pulling the carb and looking at the left diaphragm.

Re the fuel leak - you'll likely need to get the carbs off to figure that out considering where it's coming from - if you pull the carbs to check the left diaphragm, you can inspect the fuel hoses under there while you're at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.