Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now I'm getting angry!:lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:

The bike had a pretty bad oil leak at the cam sensor a few months back, popped it all apart, replace the seal and gasket, good to go...

Then I noticed I still had oil spraying on that side of the bike, so I checked and found the valve cover leaking, just that one side though. So I went ahead and replaced both valve cover gaskets.

About two weeks later I noticed there was still oil spraying up on that side! So I checked, and sure enough, valve cover gasket. So I took it apart and there was no visible damage to the gasket.

So I got another set of valve cover gaskets last week, and this time used RTV when I put 'em on...

By that night the same damn side was leaking again, very slow, and it didn't seem to spray out at speed, so I figured I'd leave it...

Today I went out to the garage and there's a 4" puddle of oil on the other side!!!!! Now THAT valve cover gasket is leaking!

As the title says, WTF!!!!! I have no idea what the hell is going on here, I have NEVER had this happen, even on a SB Chevy (notorious for tricky leaks), but I HAVE to have this fixed by monday when I'll be riding it twice a day every day again. What the hell am I doing wrong!?!

BTW, valvecovers are drag specialties (were there when I got the bike).

:lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the left side leak was self induced. That cam seal on the right is a bit tricky be sure you replaces BOTH the seal AND the gasket. Whenever RTV is used I recommend letting it sit for full cure time befor re-filling with oil. Try draining oil remove and reseal with same cover gaskets. Be sure bike is on center stand and that you fully clean all oil and old rtv from both mating surfaces placing RTV only where the manual calls for it. Let the RTV fulley cure per the time/temp instructions and use correct torque. Last make sure the bolt seals aren't leaking.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Now I'm getting angry!:lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:

The bike had a pretty bad oil leak at the cam sensor a few months back, popped it all apart, replace the seal and gasket, good to go...

Then I noticed I still had oil spraying on that side of the bike, so I checked and found the valve cover leaking, just that one side though. So I went ahead and replaced both valve cover gaskets.

About two weeks later I noticed there was still oil spraying up on that side! So I checked, and sure enough, valve cover gasket. So I took it apart and there was no visible damage to the gasket.

So I got another set of valve cover gaskets last week, and this time used RTV when I put 'em on...

By that night the same damn side was leaking again, very slow, and it didn't seem to spray out at speed, so I figured I'd leave it...

Today I went out to the garage and there's a 4" puddle of oil on the other side!!!!! Now THAT valve cover gasket is leaking!

As the title says, WTF!!!!! I have no idea what the hell is going on here, I have NEVER had this happen, even on a SB Chevy (notorious for tricky leaks), but I HAVE to have this fixed by monday when I'll be riding it twice a day every day again. What the hell am I doing wrong!?!

BTW, valvecovers are drag specialties (were there when I got the bike).

:lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:

Go to Advance Auto and get the Gray Hi Temp Sealent.Then clean all the oil off the head and the cover and gasket.Useing Carb cleaner to get all the oil off the contact suurfaces.Spread the sealant on the gasket with your hand and put in together let the bike sit a while and the problem should be solved.Don't over do it on the sealant just coat the gasket.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Just noted you said valve covers were from drag specialties. Do they also sell gaskets for their valve covers? Is this what you used or are gaskets OEM?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Be sure bike is on center stand and that you fully clean all oil and old rtv from both mating surfaces placing RTV only where the manual calls for it. Let the RTV fulley cure per the time/temp instructions and use correct torque
Been there done that. Gave the RTV over night before filling the oil back up, and the surface was clean enough to eat off of.
Last make sure the bolt seals aren't leaking
The leaks are both in the same spot, coming somewhere from the back bottom of the cover/head seal.

Go to Advance Auto and get the Gray Hi Temp Sealent
The stuff I used is the super-blue or something like that, designed for 700 degrees and made specifically for use with oil.

Just noted you said valve covers were from drag specialties. Do they also sell gaskets for their valve covers? Is this what you used or are gaskets OEM?
I have no idea if drag specialties have a gasket for their covers, I don't even know that ones I got were OEM. I got 'em at Steve's Cycles here in Mesa, they were like $20 a pop, but I don't recall seeing a Honda logo anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

if you have chrome covers they are hard to stopthem from leaking,i would try stock oem seals vs aftermarket

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Have you check to see if the crankcase ventilation system is not clogged?
If it is you're crankcase will be pressurized and that pressure will find the weakest gasket or seal to escape.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Have you check to see if the crankcase ventilation system is not clogged?
Hadn't though of that, I'll have to check that out.
i would try stock oem seals vs aftermarket
Problem is, I've yet to find anyone in the Phoenix area that carries OEM seals, and now I'm up against a wall and don't have time order them, especially since the dealers out here are TERRIBLE about "timely" orders. I guess I'll hit it hard tomorrow and see if I can dig some up.

Now I know how Harley owners feel:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

I really sympathize, I have the chrome covers, and have been fighting oil leaks for months now, with only limited success as yet.

you can get OEM seals through cyclemax.

good luck,

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
Now I know how Harley owners feel:raspberry:
Harleys, BSAs and Triumphs are or were notorious for their oil leaks but only when parked. When running the CVS maintained a negative pressure in the engine and could run all day without leaking more than a drop or two of oil.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i vote for the crankcase vent

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

Western Honda is really good to deal with. Make sure you specify "pick up" to avoid the shipping charges.

I went through a lot of grief trying to stop a leak in my right valve cover. It turned out not to be the gasket but the rear cam seal. Since then I've noticed that every GL12 I see seems to be leaking from that seal. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I'll have to give Western Honda a call tomorrow.

At least on the right side I KNOW it's not the cam seal, because on that side of the LTD it's a cam sensor, and that one's good... trust me... worked real hard on that one.

The left side could be the cam, but it's just too much of a coincedence that it started after the valve cover gasket replacement.

Ya know, on a normal bike it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal, but on this boxer engine that oil acts like paint from an airbrush at speed, my boots, the saddle bags, the fuel pump, everything gets totally covered in oil.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Had a lot of trouble with gaskets leaking found that the rubber grommets under the cover bolt heads were dry and not putting proper pressure on gasket, replaced grommets no leaks since.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well, go figure, no body in town has 'em in stock. $#*% ! Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Gotta have it fixed BY monday, I don't really have time to order it unless I pay for overnight.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

Honestly, I don't think new gaskets will solve the problem...I suspect something is warped.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well, everybody in town gave me the same story, 3 days to a week. I don't want to risk trying overnight on ebay with a seller that doesn't have that as an original option, I've been burned by that many times. So I just ordered 'em through western honda, they're the only ones even interested in over night.

The guy was real cool about it, $14 a piece for the gaskets, $2 a piece for the gromets, best price I've found. Of coarse overnight was $47, but hey, that's my own damn fault. :lash:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.