Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the set that I have on my 1200 now:

Apparently they are not the right ones for my bike, so I'm wanting to trade them out for a set that belongs on it. The only thing wrong with the set I have now is that the right side mirror is cracked from where the brake lever came into contact with it.

This is the set that I need:

Please let me know if you can help.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From your signiture you have an 84 Interstate.
If that's the case you have the correct mirrors now.
That's what I keep getting told, but the second style is what was on it when I got it and the bars come in contact with the ones I have now, so I'm sure something is amiss somewhere.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
That's what I keep getting told, but the second style is what was on it when I got it and the bars come in contact with the ones I have now, so I'm sure something is amiss somewhere.
Could the bars have been replaced with aftermarket ones or bent?
A picture of the bars touching a mirror would help.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is possible that they were replaced, but I don't believe they were. I'm pretty sure they aren't bent either. I'll get a pic of them touching as soon as possible. I will say that it only happens when I'm making a hard turn while backing it off of the porch, so it isn't often, but it only takes once to do the damage.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Take off the plastic cover covering the handle bar mounts, loosen a smidge and pull the bars back an inch or so. It should fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take off the plastic cover covering the handle bar mounts, loosen a smidge and pull the bars back an inch or so. It should fix the problem.
I do believe I'll try this before going much further. I've seen this recommendation from quite a few people since posting this up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my understanding is that any 1984-1987 mirror is interchangeable. the 84's were different, more faired in to the fairing, whereas the 85-87 mirrors are spaced up more (though still use the same mounts). not sure why this was done, does anyone know?? my guess is that possibly you have a better view rearward with the later mirrors? My 84 has the same mirrors you have with no bar interferance issues, and stock handlebar as well.
now I'm just wondering......if you do get a set of the 85-87 mirrors, I am looking for a good 1984 left hand mirror since my internal ball and socket mount is broken on my mirror and I would gladly liberate yours if you were looking to sell it.

you can find many sellers on ebay that have the later style mirrors for sale, here is one example.

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
my understanding is that any 1984-1987 mirror is interchangeable. the 84's were different, more faired in to the fairing, whereas the 85-87 mirrors are spaced up more (though still use the same mounts). not sure why this was done, does anyone know??
On my 84 I can see my hands in the mirrors, perhaps moving them up takes your hands out of the picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.