Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Another question...

I need to do valve stem seals, right? Well, the bike has 118,500 on it. I wonder if it would be smarter to just change the heads.

Of course, whilst its open, you do belts whether they need them or not and probably the water pump seals... It does dribble a very slight bit... and gaskets.

What would you do?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Guess a lot depends on how much longer you plan to keep the bike... If you plan to sell or upgrade in the year or so, just do what's necessary.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

With the economy the way it is, and me out of work, I am thinking that this girl and I will be dancing awhile... its cool that I like the way she moves, though ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Thats what I was going to say. If youre going to keep it, just put the stuff in there and then ride it for about 3 sets of tires :D

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

if you have the tools to do the valves in-situ, then that is the way I would go (thats how I did mine). otherwise, I would pull the heads and do it that way. pretty much a wash as far as cost of gaskets and all vs tools to do it on head.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I think if you're going to keep her I would want the oringal heads and redo them. You never know what you may get with used heads. Besides it's not a bad job to do with the help of this forum. I did my gl1100 over this past winter after 110k on it and it was kinda fun and cool when you complete the project with success. If it were me,I would do the heads over and then you're good to go for another 100+k. I have put over 3500 miles on my wing since the rebuild and she's running like a top.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I tend to agree with wingd.... There is another way to do them, but it gets long winded and would mean you would have to make a tool to do it with....I have changed valve seals in cars and trucks without pulling the heads a few times using this "home made tool"....If any one is intrested I'll go into more detail of how to make this tool and what you have to be looking for before you do the job........

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I've done it (on non-'Wing engines) by stuffing rope in the plug hole, then turning the motor to shove it up tight against the valves. Cheap and easy. I wouldn't pull the heads until you need to. You can make a compressed air fitting out of an old spark plug, but I've never seen the need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.