·
Administrator
58,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Magic Moderator
4,490 Posts
My DVDs came in today and the Windows7 now has recovery media. :claps:
It is a seldom used laptop, but I may set it up to work with the counted cross stitch program and have it on both Vista and 7.

·
Administrator
58,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My DVDs came in today and the Windows7 now has recovery media. :claps:
It is a seldom used laptop, but I may set it up to work with the counted cross stitch program and have it on both Vista and 7.
I like having the original recovery media.

I once bought an HP laptop when we were still living in Mesa, AZ.... had it a year or two and crashola happened.

I was working 60-70 hours a week, and never bothered to make a Recovery DVD from the laptop..... a minor little chore that could have saved me some bucks! HP mailed me out a DVD to restore the laptop, but the wallet took a ding.

Now, I use Macrium Reflect to make a full image copy of the HDD which all of the data intact as of the day that is done.

·
Magic Moderator
4,490 Posts
Tom never made recovery media for the tower I gave him for his birthday and the hard drive went bad. Now he ran a computer shop and you'd think he would have made recovery media, no he didn't and I think it is some where in a bin out where they live, I gave him two versions of Linux to make it into a Linux machine when he gets a replacement hard drive.
You did the right thing by making a duplicate. I'm looking at a thing that looks like a toaster and it clones the hard drive. I'd like to put the Peppermint9 on a 500 GB ssd and the Windows7 on a WD Black500GB hdd.

·
Administrator
58,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom never made recovery media for the tower I gave him for his birthday and the hard drive went bad. Now he ran a computer shop and you'd think he would have made recovery media, no he didn't and I think it is some where in a bin out where they live, I gave him two versions of Linux to make it into a Linux machine when he gets a replacement hard drive.
You did the right thing by making a duplicate. I'm looking at a thing that looks like a toaster and it clones the hard drive. I'd like to put the Peppermint9 on a 500 GB ssd and the Windows7 on a WD Black500GB hdd.
I have one of those things, I bought it down in Atlanta, GA because I was trying to duplicate my son's laptop which is soooo critical to the work he does.
It is the only PC that has ALL of the applications that are required to fully build, and commission out the Electric Municipal buses that he is working on.

He works directly under the German engineer who has designed and put these things together for the company.

Anyway, he bought two identical Dell laptops for me to place the Win7 HDD stuff onto. I tried to get Macrium Reflect to run on those machines, and it failed. they would not boot up the Recovery DVD.

So, we were walking the isles of Fry's Electronics down in Atlanta and we spied this little package that professed to clone any hdd/sdd and it was only about $30 or $40 bux.

we took it home, and by golly, that thing works slicker than snot on that door knob. glad I thought about this, because it handles drives of different sizes with aplomb.

I need to get it and copy the SSD that is in this ASUS TUF laptop, so that I have a copy of it stored....

when I get the energy up, I need to take this laptop apart, and replace the SSD with the new 1TB SSD that came in the mail last week.

maybe then, the BIOS will allow me to install Linux on the main SSD... whereas right now, Linux cannot even see the main drive, until AFTER it is up and running. then it can see it. but not during the install process. weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts