Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I bought an '01 Wing about a month ago and have been busy setting it up to fit me.

I'm interested in installing XM radio. I know J & M sells a system for about $300. I've seen some reviews of their system that's not very flattering. The XM radio can be bought much cheaper. I'm just curious how some of you are doing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Raz

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

I just got xm.. and put it on mine........ the way i went was cheap way.. bout a roady 2... it plays thru a fm radio freq.. works great... i love it........

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

How did you mount it?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Hey raz... tomorrow i have off from work i will take a couple pictures and try and see if i can get them posted on here so you can see what it all looks like but it is simple.. i will explain in depth when i post them...

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That would be great! I've been trying to pick up a Roady 2 on eBay. Any help is appreciated.

Raz

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Okay never tried to post pics on here.. but i do post on another board this way.. so hoping this works...... if it works like the other board... it will be a thumb nail.. just click on it to make it grow... ;)

Anyway here is just a pic of lucille.. yep that is what i named my wing.. LOL

Now that that is outta the way... Raz... first off good luck getting one on ebay.. i watched them there for awhile.. and just ended up going to wal mart and getting the kit for i think it was 95 bucks.. that is the complete kit with a couple different mounts and everything u need to get you going... got it home and wasnt sure how i was gonna mount it thought i might have to manufacter sumthin.. opened it up and in side was a mount that is made for a car dash mount.. it has a swivel and all on it.. eye balled it.. and thought hmm well i dont have a good place of a dash to mount this but hmm why count i mount it on the tank??? so outside i went.. and well here is the results...

The cig lighter i had wasnt working.. so back to walmart i went and bought a add on cig lighter.. had anutter idea.. back home... i wired the extra cig lighter in the bike and lay the cig lighter in the tray under the tank lid... that way i dont have alot of extra wire hanging out on the wing... any extra wire is tucked nicely under the tank lid.. just enuff wire coming out from under it to hook up the radio...

The nice thing about this form or radio.. is it is easy to take off and lock up in one of the side boxes or truck of the bike... i went ahead and bought the house kit for this radio and listen to it in the house also...or in one of the other cars around....

This radio will play thru one of several FM feq. or has a cassette adapter which ever you want to use... here is one more pic of the radio mounted on lucille...

Easy to see it easy to change chanels.. what not.. hope this helps yea out raz.. and hope you get the xm.. I know i love mine.. out here in the sticks sometimes it is hard to pick up a station.. and well i love my music.. what finally sold me on getting one is me and my g/f took a trip up to iowa to see some of her family here a few weekends back.. and had to ride hmm bout 150 miles with no radio or when we did find a station all we got was ag reports... lol.. not my idea of good listening... ifn you need anything else Raz feel free to pm me or post here........

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

That really worked out well for you. I've got a GL1800 and not as much open area to mount the thing. I'm going to get one and try it though. They make a vent mount that I'm wondering if it will work with the air vent on the Wing. That's my first try. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to get creative.

Oh, where did you put the antenna?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Temperaly.. i got the ant. mounted on top of the trunk.. i ran the wire out from under the door of the tank and along top of the seat.. when i get another ant.. gonna take the seat off and run the wire under it and then back to the top of the trunk... then it can stay on the bike all the time.. and i think there is prolly someone out there that makes a handle bar mount kit.. if not there could be a money maker.. shouldnt be that hard to do i wouldnt think.. just liked where i mounted mine it is easy to get to and see so on so forth.. Like i said if you need anything else feel free to yell...

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks. Now I just got to get me an XM.

Raz

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hey Stormin'.

Picked up an XM on eBay today for about $48. Now I'm waiting to get it here and see what I can do with it. I'll let you know how it works with an 1800.

Raz

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Hey raz... you will never be sorry.. i am betting on that.. makes the long rides alot more enjoyable if you like music like i do....... rode about 250 miles today.. hot 94 degs.. a bit windy.. but it was great had the tunes cranked and enjoyed the day.. cept fer the sunburn.. *mental note* shouldnt wear a wife beater shirt on a hot sunny day.. .lol oh well its all in the fun of it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.