Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

1. Which works/recieves best?

2. What do you have and what do you like / dislikeabout it?

3. What radio control head/kit do you like the best for handlebar mounting/operating with gloves on?

4. Any radio kits waterproof?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,663 Posts
imported post

I don't have a subscription to either one.

Direct TV gives me XM radio which seems to have more C&W music on it. I also enjoy PBS Radio or NPR depending on how you get it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I have XM, I went with it over Sirrius, because of the content, at the time I was buying,sirrius was getting rid of their "older music"channels (40's, some 50's, and big band channels) and adding more hip hop and new music. Personally, I prefer the oldies so XM was the better fit, additionally, at that time XM was the only one with NHL coverage for all games.

Nowdays in the US anyway, you can pretty much get both on one since the merger of XM and Sirrius, so it becomes more of a question of which hardware do you prefer. In Canada however the jury is still out on when we will get both, and in that case I would go XM.

I currently have a RoadyXL on my bike, there are a few pics in my gallery here http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery_view.php?user=4530sorry about the quality I took them with my cell phone. It has a row of presets across the bottom of the unit which are very easy to depress with gloves on. I ran all the wiring through the fairing and brought the antenna up on the front of the bike and fastened it to the top of the radio mount on the fairing with a piece of double sided tape.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Incidentally, the merging that I talked about in that post did happen - but the two companies continue to operate separately. There are prototype radios that receive both XM and Sirius, but they are not publicly available. For the time being, you still purchase either XM hardware or Sirius hardware, and they are not interoperable - although the channel offerings on the services are almost identical (but not quite).

Personally I prefer the XM hardware - the Delphi stuff is indestructable. I have had a Roady permanently affixed to the outside of my bike for almost three years now. It's sat out in the sun, the rain and nighttime dew, and continues to work perfectly.

The Sirius hardware is more advanced and flashy with more gimmicks and features.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I currently have the XM. But I use a simple XM2go. Its simple and I can take it off easily and stick it in the trunk.I mounted mine on the handlebars on a small flat mount. I know I've gotten it wet a few times and it still works perfectly. I got the basic subscription about $12 a month, although I'm disappointed they put all the NFL & Nascar broadcast in the top of the line package of around $30+ a month. Worse than cable. I like it, especially the 80's stuff. But overall I'm pleased with it, do miss the FM and local stations at times though.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Don't use sat. radio on my bike, but I drive truck and use Sirius. Sirius has all the NFL games every Sunday. Don't like to miss my games when I'm on the road. Other than that I find the choice to be a flip of the coin. You might like XM and the guy beside you might like Sirius.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
imported post

I have a Sirius sportster 4 unit mounted on the handlebars with a ram mount. The reception is always good and since the merger of the 2 companies they have streamlined the content and now share most of the same channels. Sirius offers Nascar & the NFL packages for those who are fans. Since I am a Howard Stern fan I went with Sirius, but I don't think there is really much of a difference between the two these days.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I had Sirius on my Wing when I had it and have had it in my truck for over 3 years now. I also have my first Sirius radio in my shop as an extra. My truck subscription is a lifetime sub and I love it. No more commercial radio for me!

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
imported post

I have Sirius because it was a gift. I've had it for about 2 1/2 years now. I would have purchased the Sirius over XM only because of the NFL package. No problems with reception, and it was easy to install.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS unit, which also is an XM receiver. Not only do I get the XM radio channels, I get NavTraffic and NavWeather services. I love my XM, although since the merger you can get the 'Best of Sirius/XM" which pretty much means you can use either receiver to get the other's programming.

On the topic of the Zumo 550, you can't beat a unit that integrates GPS/Bluetooth Cell Phone/XM radio/Traffic updates/Weather maps. Great unit!

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I wrote a bit about this here a couple years ago that you might want to read.

Here is the posting that I made about it. It was a part of this thread talking about installing satellite wiring in your bike.
Wow, some great information there, thanks. (Now I know who to PM when I have any electronic issues.) Thanks.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 GPS unit, which also is an XM receiver. Not only do I get the XM radio channels, I get NavTraffic and NavWeather services. I love my XM, although since the merger you can get the 'Best of Sirius/XM" which pretty much means you can use either receiver to get the other's programming.

On the topic of the Zumo 550, you can't beat a unit that integrates GPS/Bluetooth Cell Phone/XM radio/Traffic updates/Weather maps. Great unit!
I've heard a lot of high marks for the Zumo 550, will check it out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I appreciate everyone's input on the subject, thanks for the info - keep it coming.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.