Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well last Friday it was finally time to replace the Pilot GT....:((Man I liked that tire)

When I got home after workI started the process of getting to the back tire, after the bike took a nap in the garage NUTS!!!,darn it(scraped up the side of the bike, small place, and my face sheild on the helmet). I had the whole rear end and tire off the bike in only about an hour to hour and half. ( not bad even for me) By the time it got dark I had the bead broke on both sides (note to self, get a BIGGER C clamp). Next morning bright and early went to wrangling the tire off the rim, came off pretty easy. After cleaningthe rim, changing the drive dampers and , yes Rudy I put in a permanent valve stems, I got the new Elite 3 on in no time at all. I went with Dynabeads for balancing. Next time I'm just chunking them in the tire before I set the bead.....:shock:

Long story short I got everything back together greased, splines molied and all nuts and bolts torqued I took her out for a test ride and am pleased to say it went well :waving:

Pretty sure the next rear tire I will be going Darkside........

Nothing like doing it yourself.......:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

Congrats congrats! Great feeling yeah? That's motivation for me to pull mine off and do the same :)!

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

Nice job. I'm still kind of of wimp as far as dealing with tires but one day would like to try mounting my own tires as well...

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
Nice job. I'm still kind of of wimp as far as dealing with tires but one day would like to try mounting my own tires as well...
My biggest fear was messing up the lip of the rim with the tire irons. I can be a bit heavy handed when things don't go just right. I got a pair of rim protectors and those worked nicely......

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Curious, has onyone ever used the dyna-beads in an 1100?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
i mount tires, ( on or off bike). i have a no mar tire machine.

im in the chicago area, south side, let me know

773 469 2932

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

I just may just have to give you a call. I was going to go to Cycletech sometime over the next couple days but now I have options. Thanks SmartBiker.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
I just may just have to give you a call. I was going to go to Cycletech sometime over the next couple days but now I have options. Thanks SmartBiker.
thank you for considering, Mike.

please keep me posted

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Sweet 93. I have done my front tire but not my rear. My next rear tire will be a Dunlop Wintersport. I will be going Darkside in November.

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

SmartBiker wrote:
pwhoever wrote:
thank you for considering, Mike.

please keep me posted
Sorry, not trying to hijack thread but... more than considering, I sent a PM.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Bravo 93! I just ordered a new Spitfire for the 12. It's the rear tire. The local shop charges 35 bucks for a mount and balance. I've always wanted to mount my own tires. Is this a bad idea? I was thinking about using dyna-beads too. Do I need to know how to fly a WWII fighter plane in order to be able too do this myself?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,135 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg wrote:
Curious, has onyone ever used the dyna-beads in an 1100?
I just had new tires put on my ST1100 a week ago today.
Rode it home 49 miles and it was smoooooooooth......

Rode it on Wednesday again for 3 hours and it was still soooooo smooooooth :action:

Oh, did I mention that with Dyna Beads you don't have to balance the tires? :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
62,876 Posts
imported post

New tires alway feel good.. Just had my frontchanged.. $30. off the bike........

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

escogold wrote:
Bravo 93! I just ordered a new Spitfire for the 12. It's the rear tire. The local shop charges 35 bucks for a mount and balance. I've always wanted to mount my own tires. Is this a bad idea? I was thinking about using dyna-beads too. Do I need to know how to fly a WWII fighter plane in order to be able too do this myself?
No, I guess not, but they are fun to fly...........:waving:

Working on aircraft years ago taught me a lot about patience and being extra vigilent on how things come apart. If you have never worked on a plane, it's kinda like working on the Wing. Lots of things have to come off before you really get into what you need to work on...

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Richardrwg; with the help of a very loyal Son-in-law I have new tires f&r on my Shadow and the front of the GL1100. Using Dyna-beads in all. Have been very pleased with the resulting ride.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Ya I'm thinkin', "how hard could it be?" but if it were fairly easy I should think many of the members here would do it themselves. I get the impression however that very few hand mount their tires. I guess the only way to find out is to go ahead and have a go at it. Did you guys purchase the Dyna-beads online?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

escogold wrote:
Ya I'm thinkin', "how hard could it be?" but if it were fairly easy I should think many of the members here would do it themselves. I get the impression however that very few hand mount their tires. I guess the only way to find out is to go ahead and have a go at it. Did you guys purchase the Dyna-beads online?
I changed mine last summer. Bought pretty much everything online, including the Dyna Beads. Hardest part for me was breaking the beads on the old tires. The old ones had a 2000 date code on them, so I'm assuming they had been on the bike for 10 years (PO hardly rode it -- I'm making up for that now!) :action:

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

For the Dyna Beads, I had previously bought their "applicator" which does help. But now I buy bulk bags that are a lot cheaper. The last time I bought I purchased a 20oz bag from HEREShipping costs were ok but it did take a while for the product to ship. I just use a cheap digital scale to measure out the amount I need and I'm good.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the link! I seem to recall my rear tire required 2oz. The video link I posted shows this guy changing and hand balancing a sportbike tire and it's under ten minutes long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.