Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

http://lifeisaroad.com/deerkilling.html

Now granted this guy' skill saved his butt. However he center punched a deer at 60. And the bike sustained what I would consider minor to moderate damage.

I guess the GoldWing isn't the only two wheeled tank on the road.

Yeah if I can find a Valkyrie interstate within my financial reach...I'll name her Dragon Horse, slap a CT on the rear and just live off bugs and road dirt for a couple years.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

Right here is what I feel is the single most important statement he made:

...until the bike is actually down, never quit riding it. Sure, luck played a part, but make no mistake. This bike stayed up and the rider and pillon walked away simply because the pilot never quit flying it.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys...but it will be next winter before I'll be ready to start looking for one. And even by then...my prices range will be in the $3K-$5k range...yeah I know finding a Valkyrie that cheap isn't likely...but hey...I can hope.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

that would be my second 2-wheeled choice.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

YUK!!! What a mess! Sure was a good rider to take a punch like that and stay with it. Poor little deer. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Ewwwww! But,yes he never gave up.My first thought was how is he gonna get that radiator clean?

Patrick

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

I always enjoy that squirrel story every time I see it.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I always enjoy that squirrel story every time I see it.
Same here. I always carry one of his books in the tourbox, for those quiet moments on the road.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

They are so right about it when they say, never quit riding the bike until it's over, even when you think you are down.
I had a personal case, nothing so bad as the story above, but in my case, I was riding with a couple friends and I just about went down. It was late in the day and the sun was low but still bright. We went from a wide open area into a wooded area and lost the sunlight in the trees. Right after that I hit a patch of sand in the road right as we were going around a right hand bend. I was all over the road, at least it seemed like it. My buddy from behind said he couldn't believe I didn't go down. I thought for sure I was going down. But I just remember thinking how I didn't want to foul up my bike, because I didn't think I could afford to replace it. Yeah, that's what I was actually thinking. Anyway, there wasn't anyway I was giving up if I could help it. Somehow I managed to keep it up.
In another case, I wasn't involved. It was a couple guys I ride with. Several of my friends were on a group long weekend ride. One of the guys had bike trouble so they stopped and left his bike behind. He got on the bike with another guy and they rode two up. He was considered the better rider so the other guy was riding pillion on his own 1800. Anyway they were coming around a curve and hit an oil patch and the bike went down. (there were several in the group that witnessed this.) Well the guy in the front seat didn't give up. They were on their side sliding, and he actually had the presence of mind to downshift and accelerate. The passenger tells the story about hearing him downshift and race the engine and he is amazed by it. At some point the wheels make contact with the road and the bike comes upright. But by now since they had been in a right hand curve they had slid across the road into the path of oncomming traffic, but when the bike came upright they were pointing toward the right side so they accelerated across the highway but went off the road across the shoulder into the field. But the "pilot" kept up the gas and brought the bike back around and back onto the road. He brought the bike back under control and then stopped.
Yes, while on his side, he downshifted and gave it throttle, got the bike upright and got it back under control.
Everyone there said it was the most amazing thing they ever saw.
Now some of that is certainly luck. But he never quit riding it. And if he had quit, the luck wouln't have had a chance to come into play and I'm sure it would have had a very different ending.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.