Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So this past thursday night I picked up a 1985 Goldwing LTD in awsome shape, drove it home (about 500km/300mi) then picked up my wife and I was off to Americade for the weekend on Friday, then returned yesterday. So in the last four days I've logged about 1600km/1000mi. Sore but happy! I sure missed the wings (I had an 84 Aspencade lost to a left turn bandit), and a 94 Aspencade (lost due to sale / I was younger without foresight back in 1998).

But now I'm back with a "proper" ride. (I'd been slummin it with a V65 for the past year).

Of course this new ride is not without its issues:

Battery drains over time, seems to charge when ridden, but the bike packed in on me when we hit a couple of miles of heavy stop and go traffic. No doubt the heavy use of brake lights and radiator fan killed the remaining charge in the battery.

I traded batteries with my brother-in-law for the drive back to the motel, and bought a battery tender to get the battery back up to full for the ride home. I'm now aware of the stator issue, and will be doing the requisite tests with my voltmeter tonight. If I have to run the bike on the battery tender for rest of the summer before replacing the stator this winter, so be it, small price to pay.

I've got a couple of other problems though and wonder if there are any thoughts on these. The autolevel display works intermittently (once since I've had the bike), and I've not been able to engage the compressor yet!

Also the stereo is not working (what a drag). It powers up and the previous owner says the deck itself was tested, and shown to be working, he suspects the problem is with the joystick-fader control on the tank computer. Even though the stereo powers up, the handlebar tuner seems to have no affect on it.

At this point I'm doubtful that the stator is the problem (the rectifier is new by the way). It sounds perhaps that there is a short in the bike that is compromizing all of the bike's electronics (wishful thinking perhaps that fixing one problem will fix everything I know, but a man can dream can't he).

At any rate, I've got two shop-manuals for the bike, a clymer, and another, but there's no substitute for experience so ideas are welcome.

Meanwhile, does anyone perchance have a line on any of the following:

- Owner's manual for the 1985 GL1200LTD (PDF file would be just great)
- Honda Goldwing LTD Bike Cover
- Original Leather Saddlebag liners

I'll keep posting my progress and questions, and hope to meet with the same enthusiasm from the members, that so many here have already.

Cheers, :waving:

Dave
Ottawa, Ontario

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum... had the same discharge problem with an '85A I had for a while, but was to lazy to chase it down.... you know who it goes... the more electronics and lights the more that can go wrong. do check the yellow wire connector off the stator and hard wire if not done yet. also, I recently went over to a maintenance free battery as older wings are hard on batterys.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Rcmatt007, what brand Maintenance free Battery did you buy ?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

got it through jc whitney and just added it this spring so cannot vouch for it yet, but after years iof replacing wal-mart/sams batteries I thought it was worth a try. My first harley (2000 road king classic) had one which lasted at least the two years I owned it (unfortunatley, last fall, someone walked away with it-hence the 2005 model).

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

how does the wing compare to the V65? I have to admit someone is selling one of those locally, and it's very tempting, esp since I have a hankering for naked bikes. :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey davesaul :byebye: Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:I must say thatiam very impressed :cool: with the lenght and content of your first post. Visit often and keep up the good work. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

Dave,

I to got a Goldwing recently. Mine is a '94 1500 SE and it was a long time coming. The last Wing I had was a 1988 1500 when the 6 cylinder bikes first came out.

Wow, you sound excited and I can share yourenthusiasm because I can't beleive I went so long without a Goldwing myself.

Good Luck!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

davesaul, for starters you might go over all the connectors you can get to, check them for corrosion, clean the contacts and replug with some dialectric grease. Also do a careful checkout of the connectors just under the front left side of the seat. These are the connectors that carry the three heavy yellow wires from the stator, it's not uncommon to find these melted a bit. If the contacts get just a little dirty there will be a lot of heat buildup due to the current carried by these wires. I'd also squirt some contact cleaner/lube or WD40 into all the handlebar switches and work the switches energetically. These do cause some problems. Does your aircompressor work when you have the ignition switch in 'park'? That's the position for using the auxilary air outlet.

My previous bike, an '86 SEI had several of these type problems but everything worked okay after some clean up work. Keep an eye on eBay for SEI/LTD parts, they are a bit rarer than the regular Aspencade stuff. If you can get your hands on the Honda Electrical Supplement for the LTD/SEI it's worth just about any price. These are great bikes, they have a lot more power than the 1500s, I don't think any Goldwing with the exception of the 1800 can stay with them. The downside is they are complicated and most of the work on it just about has to be owner accomplished. I have 93! Aspencade now, but I sure wish I could have kept my '86 and had the '93!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Okay, so now I know its not the stator. I'm getting over 50v at 3,000rpm across each phase. Each phase is a closed circuit and each phase is open to ground. Its a relief - of sorts knowing I won't be pulling the engine this winter.

Didn't know the bike had to be in park to use the onboard compressor, thanks exavid, I'll try that and let you know. As for EBay, that's actually where I found the bike and I'm already on the hunt for a decent CB Radio, cover, saddlebag liners, etc.!

As for how the wing compares to the v65, well its like night and day. Last summer my wife and I went on "3-hour cruise" and my back was done for about three days. Also being lighter and more prone to feeling the wind, I found any speed above 115km felt really unsafe. Not a real issue unless you're riding in a group, and my brother in law was on his goldwing for that trip and had neither the back or speed problems I did. That pretty much sealed the deal that I would have to get another wing.

Don't get me wrong the V65 is an awsome machine with brutish power (116HP), but its a sports car for riding in the city. As soon as I took this wing out of the parking lot for the test drive on Thursday, I knew I was "home" again. THe weight, the stabilty, the comfort just felt right.

I'll post more when I know more! And thanks for the tips! I'll get this baby right yet!

Dave

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Okay, put the bike in park, and voila, I was able to run the compressor - good stuff. I also figured out that the hand controls for radio do work. I was expecting an instant response when I moved the tuner control up and down, but there's a delay of about a second or two before the radio moves (makes sense)

I figure I've got a couple of natural choices for next steps. First determine if the battery is okay. Second a systematic dissassembly and checking/cleaning of all connections.

Any conclusive tests I can perform to test the battery???

I'd be curious in checking what the current draw on the battery is when the bike is all the way off (no key), key in accessories mode, and key in full ready to start mode. the bike seems to be stock, so I'd be interested in anyone's ideas on what those values "should be" - if the values are way out, that would prove conclusively that there's a short somewhere in the system.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.