Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Not exactly a new post..... But whats up with the yellow wires on the 1100 GL? Solder them together? Why? Mine look in real good shape.

Thanks

MArk

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

trnpkcruzr wrote:
Not exactly a new post..... But whats up with the yellow wires on the 1100 GL? Solder them together? Why? Mine look in real good shape.
If your connector down below the battery is in good shape, no discolored metal and no sign of melting plastic you really don't need to do anything. However it's common to find the connector in poor shape. If the connections aren't dry and clean their resistance will increase which will cause heating of the connection which will cause the connection to increase in resistance which increases the heating until the plastic fails. So if yours looks good leave it alone but inspect it fairly often. If you want to prevent future problems and increase your charging voltage a wee bit, cut out the connector and do a crimped and soldered splice. Also trace out the yellow wires to the rectifier/regulator to make sure all connections on those leads look good.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

trnpkcruzr wrote:

Thanks

MArk
Mark, the 1100's aren't as big a problem as they have a lower output generator than the 1200's do. The 1200 Wings have a big problem with that 3 yellow wire connector & (internal terminals) carrying the current of full charging system output. That connector is mounted in a very bad place being so close to the battery as the battery acid fumes really add to the problem of terminal oxidation.

Also, don't just rely on the look of the outside of that 3 yellow wire connector, the outside can look good but the actual terminals inside can be tarnished & oxidised. ANY oxidation adds resistance & resistance means heat. I really can't say on the 1100 but on the 1200 sooner or later that 3 way plug is going to give you a problem (it's just a matter of when) Nothing worse than having that plug fry half way through a 3000 mile trip in the middle of no-where..

My stout recommendation would be to hard wire it NO MATTER how good it looks now. The only reason that connector is even in there is so the main wire harness can be installed before the engine is put in at initial assembly. Unless you plan on removing your engine occasionally hard wiring that connector is real good insurance against a future walk home.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

I'm with Twisty, get rid of the plug. I Know the 1100's are not as much of a problem, but my friends 81 looked fine on the outside but when I convinced him to cut the plug out we found the wires to be very dry and green between the strands, best to cut back to good wire and be safe.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK, Sounds Like good insurance, I Dont wanna be 1/2 way to Who knows where and have my wing, go Kaput. I'll take care of those wires this weekind!!!!

Thanks for the Info

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.