Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

this yellow wire problem that is listed all over the forum. I think I need to sort mine out, instead of soldering can you use electrical connectors. I have a melted bit in the box under the fake fuel tank which has the 3 yellow wires and red ones as well. Can I cut all of these and use individual connectors to rejoin them all seperately.

I have a 1200 1984 american imported aspencade.

thanks

:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

You could use heavy duty connector blocks, but soldering gives peace of mind as there is no plastic block to get full of damp.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

janhsmn wrote:
this yellow wire problem that is listed all over the forum. I think I need to sort mine out, instead of soldering can you use electrical connectors. I have a melted bit in the box under the fake fuel tank which has the 3 yellow wires and red ones as well. Can I cut all of these and use individual connectors to rejoin them all seperately.

I have a 1200 1984 american imported aspencade.

thanks
janhsmn, yes I suppose you could use butt or crimp connectors but those things could cause you future problems due to their rather poor connection to the wires. ANYTHING that adds resistance to a wire joint is asking for higher resistance & higher resistance breeds HEAT.

You will be much farther ahead to solder the connections or get a friend to do it for you. If you just plain can't or don't want to solder then at least use a crimpable splice clip & the PROPER crimp tool to crimp the connection securely. Those nice red, blue, & yellow crimp on connectors only contact the wires in a few places so make a rather poor connection.

If you decide not to solder use a crimp on that has legs that will fold around then fold into the wire when the proper tool is used.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Western splice , and soldering, and triple shrink wrap is the way to go.                                                        http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm   /forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif                                                                                 .. as twisty says... the "Killer' of your poor beleagueared Stator is heat.. internal heat, caused by the resistance , firstly of the three pronged  clip... and secondly from the engine oil ....../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif If you really want to crimp them/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif ... borrow a proper  crimping tool, and go to a marine hardware shop and get marine crimps... they are larger, grip well, and after crimping .... they can be shrinked with a flame... almost as good../forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif.                      SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Those marine crimps last forever. They don't rust either, so once they are shrink wrapped and sealed you should have a connection that is bulletproof.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.